real time web analytics
Report - - Kithurst Firing Range & more - Sussex - August 2012 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kithurst Firing Range & more - Sussex - August 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Visited with The126

There has been talk of this site on here so I thought I'd post up what's left.

They say this site dates back to WW2 when loads of troops were posted in the area preparing for the D Day. It was used up until the 60's. Its heavily overgrown and a bit of a trek to get too but worth seeing all the same. A bit of digging in the banks gives you tons of lead but we failed to find practise mortar rounds that are supposed to litter the site, next time...

Just above this site is the remains of a Churchill Tank.

Kithurst06.jpg

Kithurst05.jpg

Kithurst07.jpg

Kithurst12.jpg

Kithurst08.jpg

Kithurst09.jpg

Kithurst14.jpg

Kithurst13.jpg

Kithurst11.jpg

Kithurst10.jpg

Kithurst15.jpg

Tree showing the scars
Kithurst16.jpg

Remains of the tank.
Kithurst04.jpg

Something else we found in the area was a dump for WW2 road blocks
Kithurst01.jpg

And some Mini's hiding in the bushes......
Kithurst02.jpg

Kithurst03.jpg

Interesting wander on a wet Sunday morning........

SaxonLion

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello mate,

New to the site although I have been exploring for a while. A bit of a veteran of Hellingly Lunatic Asylum whilst it was there.

Where abouts is this place? I'd love to have a little visit to it.

Cheers

SL

jez moore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was still active in the early 70's I remember using Kithurst range many times as an Army Cadet.

richy 2 times

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I want to pay a visit but I'm confused. Is this place at the bottom of the hill where the churchill tank is or is it in mouse lane,steyning ?

richy 2 times

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm gutted ! Took my 7 year old up to the tank a few weeks back and hunted for the range/butts and didn't find it.

richy 2 times

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited today and found the butts. I failed to find them last time and today realised I was practically stood on top of them. Good to see but farmer files turned up and was polite but said we shouldn't be there.

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Glad you found it Richy, it is close to the tank but very overgrown.
The farmers dog found me there once before but the farmer stayed across the field! In certain months it is used for young pheasant pens