real time web analytics
Report - - Klinger Factory - September 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Klinger Factory - September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dudman

I'm not lost until I give up finding my way...
28DL Full Member
After seeing a couple of reports on the Klinger I decided I would go have a nose myself with a non member. Yes I am aware this is probably one of the most reported buildings ever but it's easy and close to home.

History

The Klinger factory was mainly used as Offices, cutting shop, tool room and storage factory. Completed in 1937 to the designs of Wallis Gilbert and Partners for Richard Klinger Ltd, founded in Austria in 1893. The factory was built in 1937 and was closed later in the 1970's. Klinger ltd was founded in 1893 and now boasts as the worlds leading developer and manufacturer of sealing products for the oil, gas, petrochemical, aerospace, pharmaceuticals and chemical industries. I believe that the factory is a Grade II listed building which explains why for so many years it remains there.

The Day

Parking up in the Tescos car park we were greeted by a huge factory shadowing over us, quite breathtaking when you think of the sheer size of the place. Standing around planning the entrance and exit we decided it was time to head over and get on in and have a nose. The way we had planned did not go to plan and 10 minutes of rethinking quickly turned into 30 and then a further 10 on actually getting in, newbies at their best!

Once we were in we set up the cameras, started the Go Pro and off we went.

Once we were finished with the Klinger we tried Queen Mary's hospital (which is now on complete lock down with workmen working on the site and also plenty of dog units patrolling the grounds). We were quite disappointed with this as a hospital is high on the list.

On the way home we also tried Dartfords Little Brooks Oil-Fired power station, of which again was on complete lock down and unreachable within a half mile radius. Also very gutted about this as looking at the place it's huge and must hold so much untouched bits inside! I'll put a photo at the bottom to show the beauty.

So to say the least it was a half successful day and can't wait to get going on the next splore.

Pics on my mac look perfect but on my pc look dark and dingy, may just be the retina hyping the photos though.

Any constructive criticism is welcome and hope you enjoy the report.

Photos

report 10.JPG

report 12.JPG

report 11.JPG

report 5.JPG

Report.JPG

report 15.JPG

reaport 9.JPG

Report 4.JPG

Report 3.JPG

report 14.JPG

report 13.JPG

DSC05300.JPG

report 8.JPG

DSC05268.JPG

DSC05358.JPG

Here's Littlebrooks

DSC05370.JPG

Last edited:

guts

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi. Obviously, I know people aren't supposed to gain entry to these places, but as I say to my daughter, there's no such thing as fences, just gates that are tall and harder to get through. I am a photographer and am hoping to do some portrait shooting very soon and I really want to do some in here. This is mainly because it is local, seemingly safe(ish) and easy. I haven't done any exploring on this level before so am after a bit of advice. I appreciate that really we should hide our identities but I want to go in here to do portrait shots with someone that I have lined up to pose/model for me so their face won't be covered, and I will be exhibiting some of the pictures. Is this unwise to the point that I should find somewhere else. Some of the pictures I take will be shown on a few internet sites, but primarily they will be for exhibit, gallery sale and competition entries. This means my public persona will be credited for the shots also, so no denying me being there. And finally, if it does turn out to be doable, or I set the shot so there is no definite way of identifying the location... how easy is it to enter the site?

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I've picked up on a couple of points.

Why would you want to take a model to this dump, or any other shithole?

As for your identities, nobody cares, not one bit. However on a professional level it 'might' not do you any favours with the more law abiding side of society.

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Hi. Obviously, I know people aren't supposed to gain entry to these places, but as I say to my daughter, there's no such thing as fences, just gates that are tall and harder to get through. I am a photographer and am hoping to do some portrait shooting very soon and I really want to do some in here. This is mainly because it is local, seemingly safe(ish) and easy. I haven't done any exploring on this level before so am after a bit of advice. I appreciate that really we should hide our identities but I want to go in here to do portrait shots with someone that I have lined up to pose/model for me so their face won't be covered, and I will be exhibiting some of the pictures. Is this unwise to the point that I should find somewhere else. Some of the pictures I take will be shown on a few internet sites, but primarily they will be for exhibit, gallery sale and competition entries. This means my public persona will be credited for the shots also, so no denying me being there. And finally, if it does turn out to be doable, or I set the shot so there is no definite way of identifying the location... how easy is it to enter the site?

I can't say that I've ever been here, or plan on going so I can't help with the question of access.

But as a photographer, I can tell you that there's absolutely no issue whatsoever regarding you posting up, and showcasing any work that you may produce from here. At the end of the day, you don't actually have to even tell anybody where the pics where taken and if you do choose to tell them, it's not going to cause you any bother. I've showcased work that's been taken on explores before, the only time you do need to be careful is if it was taken in a location where the trespass is classed as criminal as opposed to civil. If you get caught on site, that's a different ball game, expect the police to be called in and angry landowners to get up in your face, at the end of the day, civil trespass may not be an arrest able offence, but it is still illegal. That said, neither the Police or the Landowner can demand you delete any images that you've taken on site if you should get caught.

My advice would be to get in there discreetly take what it is you're after and leave asap.

Dudman

I'm not lost until I give up finding my way...
28DL Full Member

Access is a piece of piss, not holding your hand on how to get in but honestly it's not hard.

As for taking photos in there with a model, it'll work. It's very quite in there and once you're in you'll be fine.

Selling photos etc, couldn't help on that one mate sorry.

guts

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thanks people. I am an amateur/hobby photographer at the moment but I am part of a club and we hold quite a few in club, inter club and county competitions. The 'model' is my brother who has a certain look about him and he also loves the derelict/industrial/graffiti setting as one of our shoots. I haven't let him know where we are going yet (he loves surprises... hopefully) and I am in close contact with someone that is a visitor to Klinger now, so I will get pretty good guidance on the easiest way in. The rest of the club are quite traditional in their shooting and I quite like the looks on their faces when some of my stuff comes up. There is a portrait comp coming up soon and I already have an image on my mind, and it involves the long graffiti corridor in Klinger.

takumi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just been in here after a 4 mile walk due to bad directions :(. but I wouldn't recommend going in, I saw at least 5 men doing graffiti and so many kids going in just to trash the place and smoke. I didn't enjoy it at all as half the building is damaged from the 2 fires this year, and the other half is vandalised.
I guess this is due to the fact there is no security and access is pretty easy so you can do anything really. Me and my mate climbed in *do not discuss access details on public forum!*

Last edited by a moderator: