real time web analytics
Knock John Sea Fort - May 2018 | Noteworthy Reports | Page 4 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Knock John Sea Fort - May 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
If you have a solid-hull boat rather than a RHIB, you’re not going to want to get too close to the tower or you’re going to suffer a nasty accident

Actually that reminds me of an incident a few years ago. I bought an ex inshore lifeboat, a 14 foot RIB with a 40HP Mariner outboard with the front steering wheel and an emergency tiller.
We launched at Calshot and went out into the Solent to take a look at one of the Palmerston forts. However, when we got to the fort, we hit a bit of rebar and the whole front half of the RIB deflated. It was quite choppy to say the least on the way back, and my mate who was holding the deflated rubber bow out of the water with a rope fell onto the fibre-glass dash and smashed it in half, making the steering inoperable. We de-rigged it and made use of the tiller and eventually nursed it back to Calshot.

Not a pleasant experience.

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Actually that reminds me of an incident a few years ago. I bought an ex inshore lifeboat, a 14 foot RIB with a 40HP Mariner outboard with the front steering wheel and an emergency tiller.
We launched at Calshot and went out into the Solent to take a look at one of the Palmerston forts. However, when we got to the fort, we hit a bit of rebar and the whole front half of the RIB deflated. It was quite choppy to say the least on the way back, and my mate who was holding the deflated rubber bow out of the water with a rope fell onto the fibre-glass dash and smashed it in half, making the steering inoperable. We de-rigged it and made use of the tiller and eventually nursed it back to Calshot.

Not a pleasant experience.

That sounds absolutely horrid. I was bricking it, which brings me on to...

I gotta ask though, what were the 25 bouncy balls for? :D

Putting on the ends of the arrows! I was mad paranoid about an arrow bouncing back and hitting the boat and popping it!

tatsol

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Putting on the ends of the arrows! I was mad paranoid about an arrow bouncing back and hitting the boat and popping it!

Haha! That gave me a good laugh. Glad that didn't end up happening :)

Markdas

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As someone already said, what an education on many fronts! I didn't know that it (they) even exisited! Excellent combination of courage, inginuity and a dose of recklessness made that all work!

Ive been working offshore on oil platforms, rigs and semi subs in many parts of the world and am still fascinated with the engineering but whoever designed these things did so in an age without 3D models, computer aided design and installing them was no easy task! Thank god they did so these reports can still bring us all to life again! Thank you!

crashed.out

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Absolutely outstanding! I remember sailing past Knock John a few times too many years ago and it's quite incredible to see inside it. Thank you for that.

Reactions: m9

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Stunning, just stunning, this is an extreme explore. Oh to be fit & young and climb to things like this. Big big kudos, very well done. :Not Worthy:Not Worthy

Who has read this thread (Total: 1058) View details