real time web analytics
Report - - Kodak factory – Harrow – December 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kodak factory – Harrow – December 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Candid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

The history

The Kodak factory in Harrow originally opened in 1891 and was also Eastman Kodak’s first manufacturing base outside America. The Harrow factory was the largest photographic manufacturing plant in the British Commonwealth, in the 1950s at the height of its output it employed more than 6,000 people.

Kodak have been present in Harrow for more than 120 years, the factory’s history charting much of the history of popular photography itself.

Due to the ever-growing popularity of digital photography, track four at the factory was shut in 2005 and ended the site’s production of film, leading to the loss of 250 jobs. Due to increased financial pressures in recent years, Kodak has now sold off the seven acre site for development.

The last shift was carried out Friday 2nd December 2016

The explore

Please be gentle as this is my first report, although not my first explore.

I’d had my eye on the Kodak factory for a while and decided to visit it on the Saturday after it closed and whilst there bumped into who I can only assume was @Urban Cleetus.

The site itself is huge and took nearly all day to get around and I still managed to miss bits, especially the great turbines that AndyK has posted.

Here are my pictures, my first time using a DSLR

IMG_9484_zpsk8iak2mh.jpg

IMG_9485_zpslaipehzt.jpg

IMG_9486_zpsiwqfua8o.jpg

IMG_9487_zpsyagb8vdo.jpg

IMG_9488_zpsym78ilhr.jpg

IMG_9489_zpsamrrzcib.jpg

IMG_9493_zpsxyhqhunw.jpg

IMG_9495_zpsdzdtbzgh.jpg

IMG_9496_zpspvvxu3d7.jpg

IMG_9497_zpsynfyo8hq.jpg

IMG_9499_zpss0pvvfiy.jpg

IMG_9500_zpstrdl09cq.jpg

IMG_9502_zpshoiq2zok.jpg

IMG_9503_zpsgv935y7c.jpg

IMG_9504_zpsk0mwfnz8.jpg

IMG_9507_zpszpmmpydb.jpg

IMG_9508_zpsby9mfrv8.jpg

IMG_9509_zps3nvbu9e8.jpg

IMG_9513_zpsrkoxyybm.jpg

IMG_9514_zpseogmz3nr.jpg

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
The place is a serious maze! So easy to miss stuff in there. Glad you got a shot of the hopper (the silver box) - that's the main bit of the curtain coater, and essentially the heart of the site, as it does the thing the factory is for - coats the paper! I managed to miss that.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Good to see the signage. Thats the kind of detail that makes a report really interesting.

Candid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The place is a serious maze! So easy to miss stuff in there. Glad you got a shot of the hopper (the silver box) - that's the main bit of the curtain coater, and essentially the heart of the site, as it does the thing the factory is for - coats the paper! I managed to miss that.

Thanks! I've never been lost so many times on one explore before so I new I'd miss some of it.

Candid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good to see the signage. Thats the kind of detail that makes a report really interesting.

Thanks, it's harder than I thought choosing 20 pictures and still showing as much as of the site as possible.

Gooner124

28DL Member
28DL Member
You missed the underground bunker built during the 2nd world war as a communication centre. Search on line you will find it.

Gooner124

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thanks for finding the link , I can see it from my place, all closed down dark and very strange. No more noise from the factory might able to a good night's sleep now .