real time web analytics
Report - - Kuwait Post Iraq Invasion, and Oil Fires 1991 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kuwait Post Iraq Invasion, and Oil Fires 1991

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Turk182

28DL Member
28DL Member
Firstly, I do apologise for the quality of the photo's. As you can see they are scans. These are my personal pics and taken in 1991 before the introduction of Digital. They did have digital cameras in them old days, but they cost the same as a family saloon. They are large so as to try and get a good quality...You have been warned.

Anyway:

History of the build up, especially for those who think that Saddam Hussein is a cocktail in a night club and that the Americans actually killed a tramp with the same name in a sewer a couple of years back.

In 1990, Iraq accused Kuwait of stealing Iraqi petroleum through slant drilling, although some Iraqi sources indicated Saddam Hussein’s decision to attack Kuwait was made only a few months before the actual invasion. Some feel there were several reasons for the Iraqi move, including Iraq's inability to pay more than $80 billion that had been borrowed to finance the Iran-Iraq war and Kuwaiti overproduction of petroleum which kept revenues down for Iraq. The invasion started on August 2, 1990 at 2am, and within two days of intense combat, most of the Kuwaiti Armed Forces were either overrun by the Iraqi Republican Guard or escaped to neighboring Saudi Arabia and Bahrain. The state of Kuwait was annexed, and Hussein announced in a few days that it was the 19th province of Iraq.

Many westerners believed that Iraq's invasion of Kuwait was largely motivated by its desire to take control over the latter's vast oil reserves. The Iraqi government justified its invasion by claiming that Kuwait was a natural part of Iraq carved off as a result of British imperialism.After signing the Anglo-Ottoman Convention of 1913, the United Kingdom split Kuwait from the Ottoman territories into a separate sheikhdom.

During the 7 month-long Iraqi occupation, the forces of Saddam Hussein looted Kuwait's vast wealth and there were also reports of violations of human rights. According to some independent organizations, about 600 Kuwaiti nationals were taken to Iraq and haven't yet been accounted for.

The Persian Gulf War (2 August 1990 – 28 February 1991), codenamed Operation Desert Storm (17 January 1991 – 28 February 1991) commonly referred to as simply the Gulf War, was a war waged by a UN-authorized coalition force from 34 nations led by the United States, against Iraq in response to Iraq's invasion and annexation of Kuwait.

On 27 February, Saddam ordered a retreat from Kuwait, and President George H.W. Bush declared it liberated. As part of a scorched-earth policy, the retreating Iraqis set fire to nearly 700 oil wells, and placed land mines around the wells to make extinguishing the fires more difficult.

I flew in on February 28th with a US firefighting team to start planning and extinguishing the fires.

These pictures are from the first week there straight after the liberation.

Unfortunately, my first 5 films were confiscated by the US secret service after I put them with a local Kuwait developer who then reported me to the CIA. This may have something to do with IMO the atrocities and gross infringement of human rights that were captured on these films.

Enjoy

Big Bertha
Untitled.jpg

Found this Lightening in someones Garden​
Untitled-1.jpg

Any militant groups want to buy some stuff​
Untitled-2.jpg

New meaning to collecting shells on the beach​
Untitled-3.jpg

Not a good idea, when the wind turns​
Untitled-28.jpg

I'll Be Back
Untitled-27.jpg

Didn't make it home
Untitled-6.jpg

Secondhand People carrier for Sale, slightly damaged​
Untitled-7.jpg

Now where did I leave that launcher ?​
Untitled-8.jpg

Mutlar Pass. This is a pass north of Kuwait where the retreating forces were stuck due to the pass. American Apache helicopters killed everything, and as one pilot put it "It was embarassing, like shooting turkeys in a farmyard. Nato put the dead at 10,000, Human Rights organisations put it more at 150,000​
Untitled-9.jpg

The skyline​
Untitled-10.jpg

The Hell I Will
Untitled-14.jpg

Roll on November the 5th
Untitled-12.jpg

Now, where are the unexploded cluster bombs ?
Untitled-15.jpg

To Infinity....And Beyond​
Untitled-13.jpg

Family Portrait​
Untitled-5.jpg

Oil leak on the Landrover
Untitled-16.jpg

Beasty
Untitled-17.jpg

And Don't Come Back​
Untitled-18.jpg

Now, where does this go ?​