real time web analytics
Report - - L K Cutlers, Sheffield. A little shread of the past. | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - L K Cutlers, Sheffield. A little shread of the past.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
About 4 years ago, I asked the then explorers of Sheffield if there were any cutlers to explore. Both the explorers and my dad said I was too late, that the industry had been gone for so long nothing would be left. This is the sixth cutler I have found...

The building is a tiny works, tucked away in an area peppered with derelict works and buildings that have replaced former works. The downstairs was last used as a sandwich shop, the middle floor a flat, and the top floor... Bingo:cool:

It is a cutlers shop, unchanged since the first half of the 20th Century. Although the roof has been damaged by fire, the work benches, polishing wheels, tools, and the ware itself all remains in situ. I found 3 pronged forks which date from the 1870's 1880's still half finished. Many of the tools are hand made, showing the skill of the craftsmen that once worked here...

Despite the damage, this is best preserved cutlers I have found. I'm convinced there are more like this, In urge the new explorers of Sheffield to get out there and find them.

cutlery1of24.jpg

cutlery10of24.jpg

cutlery11of24.jpg

cutlery12of24.jpg

cutlery13of24.jpg

cutlery14of24.jpg

cutlery15of24.jpg

cutlery16of24.jpg

cutlery17of24.jpg

cutlery18of24.jpg

cutlery6of24.jpg

cutlery5of24.jpg

cutlery4of24.jpg

cutlery3of24.jpg

cutlery24of24.jpg

cutlery22of24.jpg

cutlery21of24.jpg

cutlery2of24.jpg

cutlery19of24.jpg

cutlery9of24.jpg

cutlery7of24.jpg

cutlery23of24.jpg

K.G

28DL Member
28DL Member
How fantastic! Do you know when the cutlers was last up and running? its now used as a Mexican kitchen.

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's ace!! Well done dweeb for getting out there and finding it! Wonder how many more there hiding away??

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details