real time web analytics
Report - - Ladybower reservoir - Bellmouth abseil. August '13 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ladybower reservoir - Bellmouth abseil. August '13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

aem

Perilously hopeless....
28DL Full Member
Well since i can't remember the last time I actually stuck a report on here, I thought i may as well get back into the swing of things and post one up.

Stupidly early start for a Saturday morning with the usual culprits; Mstarrmat as rope testing bitch, and my brother Mike happlily volunteering to watch our ropes while we were inside the dam wall.

Ladybower was built between 1935 and 1943 by the Derwent Valley Water Board to supplement the other two reservoirs in supplying the water needs of the East Midlands. It took a further two years to fill (1945). The dam differs from the Howden Reservoir and Derwent Reservoir in that it is a clay-cored earth embankment, and not a solid masonry dam. Below the dam is a cut-off trench 180 feet (55 m) deep and 6 feet (1.8 m) wide filled with concrete, stretching 500 feet (150 m) into the hills each side, to stop water leaking round the dam. The dam wall was built by Richard Baillie and Sons, a Scottish company. The two viaducts, Ashopton and Ladybower, needed to carry the trunk roads over the reservoir were built by the London firm of Holloways, using a steel frame clad in concrete. The project was delayed when the Second World War broke out in 1939, making labour and raw materials scarce. But construction was continued due to the strategic importance of maintaining supplies. King George VI, accompanied by Queen Elizabeth, formally opened the reservoir on 25 September 1945.

(Bet you can't guess where the history came from.....)

IMG_1326_zps2e1979a3.jpg

IMG_1324_zpse02c8c37.jpg

IMG_0011-001_zpsbac5734f.jpg

IMG_1332_zps08b6b09d.jpg

IMG_1338_zpseebee7c0.jpg