real time web analytics
Report - - Lady's Bridge, Sheffield Jan 2019 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lady's Bridge, Sheffield Jan 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Lady’s Bridge

Lady’s Bridge is the oldest bridge over the River Don in Sheffield. The first stone structure was 14 ½ feet wide, built in 1485 and it has been widened three times since.​

There’s a lot of history associated with it and this has been very well documented in the two links below​

Wicker Weir is also very old. There’s less information online about it but the sign nearby states that “it was first recorded in 1581 but is almost certainly older”​

Huntsmans Forge and Wicker Tilt

From the sign by the bridge. “Wicker Tilt was a mock mediaeval building with castellated turrets and was occupied as a forge by Benjamin Blonk who opened the first steam powered grinding shop in Sheffield in 1785 and gave his name to the street and (other) bridge. Later it was taken over by the famous Sheffield firm of Huntsman’s, originators of the first true steel through the crucible process.”​

The link below describes in detail how Benjamin Huntsman helped Sheffield monopolise the world market for cast steel. Water that didn’t go over the weir went under the northern most arch and powered his tilt and water was also diverted to power Wicker Wheel​

The link below shows and briefly describes how the tilt hammer at the forge worked. It was all demolished in 1901​

I’d not long moved to Sheffield near to Lady’s Bridge and was intrigued as to what was under the fifth arch. I didn’t expect to find much but one night when I couldn’t sleep I went and did a lil rooftop (report to follow) and as it was still dark I climbed down the side of Lady’s Bridge to satisfy my curiosity. Still wide awake, I then walked under it and along where the old channel, shown further down, used to run and back out just below Blonk Bridge, where the Sheaf joins the Don. All without wadorz.​

Lady’s Bridge, looking downstream​

46692115652_044daffaf1_b.jpg

What it looked like in 2007 when it flooded! Note the white railings (see above) in background​

From wiki​

The Great Sheffield Flood
On the night of 11 March 1864 Lady's Bridge narrowly avoided destruction when the waters of the Great Sheffield Flood poured over it. Nearly every other bridge upstream in the path of the flood had been smashed by the waters and the debris that they carried. A contemporary account described the scene:
When the flood was at its height the scene on the Lady's Bridge at the top of the Wicker was most extraordinary. The water came rushing down between the buildings on each side with a force that made the Lady's Bridge quake and tremble. Against the bridge were piled up trees, logs of timber, broken furniture, and debris of every description. The light from street gas lamps revealed to spectators, of whom they were a good many, some of the horrors of the scene. The arches of the bridge were nearly choked by the accumulation of rubbish, and the impeded waters rose to a fearful height, breaking over the parapets of the bridge, and rushing across Mr. White's slate yard over the broad thoroughfare of the Wicker.

During the 2007 United Kingdom Floods Sheffield was badly hit, and Lady's Bridge and the Wicker in particular. Lady's Bridge was overwhelmed with water as it, the Wicker and the Blonk Street Bridge were flooded, and Lady's Bridge itself was at one point reported to be in danger of collapse.

31803216567_48dfcbbd32_b.jpg

from https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=490813&page=2 - more pics of t'Wicker under water​

An map, so yers can get yer bearings​

31803381037_6d9f7f7e19_b.jpg

Three sluices used to control the flow going through.​

31803378507_7a821a6fe0_z.jpg

Looking back upstream​

46020220064_2945baa3ba_b.jpg

The original bridge? I’d say it’s about 14½ foot. Below is some info taken from one of the links above relating to the bridge’s three widenings​

During the year 1909, Lady’s Bridge was widened upon its eastern side, and the work then in progress rendered it possible to examine the structure from below. Three previous widenings could be traced, at the sides of a bridge of a distinctly mediaeval type. The width of this early bridge is 14 ft. 8 ins. The arches are five in number. Their spans vary slightly but average about 21ft., and the piers between and supporting the arches are 6 ft. in thickness. The ends of the piers are hidden by later work, but no doubt originally they had pointed cutwaters of the usual type. The arches are segmental pointed; the point is very slight, and each curve seems to have been struck from two centres. The soffits of the three arches nearest to Waingate have each five stone ribs. These are square in section, with the exception of the two external ones, which are chamfered on their outer edges, as are also the edges of the arch stones adjoining them. Similar arches occur in the bridge at Rotherham. The ribs are missing in the two arches nearest to the Wicker, and it has been suggested that these have been rebuilt. These arches appeared to the writer to have a pointed form, and traces of chamfers on their outer edges, features which led him to believe that the ribs only had been removed, and that the arches themselves were the original ones. The stone employed is a coarse grit similar to that found in the Rivelin district or upon Wadsley Common. There can be no doubt that this is the bridge erected under the agreement dated 1485

46020206654_6ed601341f_b.jpg

Most of the what hasn't gone over the weir now goes over the edge, right of the tyre​

31803354057_d1c2044d30_b.jpg

Looking upstream again​

31803342047_9780426a7f_b.jpg

I wasn’t expecting all this to be there, still​

45829374185_65e64a9ebd_b.jpg

I climbed up on to this beam, shown clearer further down and looked across the river. The dozen or so openings at the top of the wall opposite – does anyone know if they’re air raid shelters?​

46020185244_85a25bebdf_b.jpg

Looking upstream….again​

46744932031_6e6e5c4b5d_b.jpg

As you can probably tell I don’t really know my forges/ tilts/ mills very well (hint, hint) The beam’s shown a bit clearer here, though​

45829343225_aa977f01f6_b.jpg

45829338085_6a0ff04b4c_b.jpg

A bit further down, again looking upstream​

45829325615_92c0edf6a2_b.jpg

This used to be part of the channel, through which ‘used’ water flowed​

32869566788_05a86b060e_b.jpg

46692116142_47358f02cf_b.jpg

31803377867_282f77e430.jpg

You’ll see what these concrete pillars support in a minute​

46744892551_12112fdf76_b.jpg

39779598323_9b62d48fc7_b.jpg

Blonk Bridge, looking downstream. Mouth of The Sheaf (Megatron) on the right. The old public toilets, still being converted, above.​

46744877711_b551c946ce_b.jpg

Now then I know what this is. Megatron’s final weir, that I went to see on another occasion and then again with @Seffy boi. Some of the water was diverted down another channel that used to be open and powered another wheel. This channel was culverted and I intend to find it! The link describes how the downstream end of Megatron was built, when The Sheaf was finally covered over (it’s good – well I thought so!)​

39779575853_a4ae4c11fb_b.jpg

Them concrete pillars and what they support – looking upstream​

39779566073_442596d8a4_b.jpg

From the top of the weir, having just met @tarkovsky for the first time. Loved this pic – pure luck that he kept his torch there long enough - cheers dude!​

45829262755_40ee855aeb_b.jpg

And Seffy, waiving his torch around while keeping his wrist perfectly still for 30 seconds or so – nice one!​

31803222897_1c88488ce8_b.jpg

One final sketch of Lady’s bridge. Now this one had me flummoxed – the weir’s moved! I assume it is incorrect and there never was a sixth arch?​

45829255105_8a4734556f_z.jpg

I’ve not seen pictures from under Lady’s Bridge online before so if anyone (local or otherwise) feels they can add to this or better explain how it all worked then please do.​

I (Go. In. Drains) Usually​

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Brilliant - particularly, as you know, I’m kicking myself for not having gone down there for a look before now. I’ve stared over that fence at those steps on the other side from the weir wondering but never actually been arsed to make it down. It’s really surprising how much is left down there, and how much space there is. Great photos.

Those arches under the bridge are fantastic. And that book about covering the Sheaf is a great find - I’ve not seen those photos before and the making of Megatron is certainly a historically significant draining moment! Especially if they decide to daylight it eventually, as they keep threatening. Bloody culvert thieves.

Never imagined there’d be so much space under where those support pillars are either.

Am I imagining it or is there also some kind out square outflow under the bridge, at the opposite end to the weir?

Lol at that first time I met you, did I ever tell you that you were gone so long down that weir that I was worrying that you’d accidentally gone over and wasn’t sure what to do about it?! Probs why I was shining my torch for so long. Was relieved when I saw you re-emerge...

You can guess where I’m off for a wander when I get a spare half hour...

tallginge

Regular User
square outflow under the bridge, at the opposite end to the weir?
if it's what I think you're describing (ie under ladys bridge), it's what I had hoped would lead to a nice long tunnel to where Wicker Wheel (on da map) was. It's not shifting that's for sure. Lol I'm glad you worried - and I took ages - twas awkward as fook!

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Looks like you had a good old mooch about down there, it certainly looks interesting.
Love your photos - the colours and contrast are spot on. :thumb

Seffy

Staff member
Lovely thorough report as per with you man! Top weekend too - thanks for being so hospitable and showing me around :thumb

tallginge

Regular User
Cheers guys - certainly worth a mooch. Yer wecome any time Seffy. Wasn't going to post it but meh.....good weekend that!

45854305375_059b534c1a_n.jpg

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Wow! Been down the Tron a couple of times but didn't know there was so much else to see at the Lady Bridge end. That second last pic is one of the best I've seen of the Tron. Fantastic report.

dreamofmadness

28DL Member
28DL Member
if it's what I think you're describing (ie under ladys bridge), it's what I had hoped would lead to a nice long tunnel to where Wicker Wheel (on da map) was. It's not shifting that's for sure. Lol I'm glad you worried - and I took ages - twas awkward as fook!
Did you ever reccy this outfall? It's on the wrong side of the river for Wicker Wheel it leads about 12m to Waingate CSO though I haven't been further than the CSO due to not being massively confident about moving around in sewers - gas etc.

I am intrigued to know if anyone has gone further and got pictures?

IMG20221011145741.jpg

IMG20221011150153.jpg

IMG20221011150230.jpg

IMG20221011150326.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 379) View details