real time web analytics
Report - - Lamesley Tyne Yard Signalling Tower (Gateshead) - October 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lamesley Tyne Yard Signalling Tower (Gateshead) - October 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

leasville

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey all!

Haven't had much chance to explore of late, but finally managed to go back to Lamesley signal station after a previous visit where we didn't have a torch or gloves for clambering around!

Bit of history (stolen from this thread as Google isn't very helpful, so thank you Spooks!)

The control tower at the Tyne Marshalling yard in Lamesely was opened in April 1963 following the closing of several nearby stations. The stations that closed were Low Fell, Bensham and Gateshead West as a result of declining rail traffic. The control tower was shut in May 1991 for reasons as of yet I have been unable to discover. The yard itself is located to the Northwest of the building whilst the East Coast Main Line passes adjacent to the tower on the Eastern side.

In comparison to other reports from '09 and '11, the place is still falling to bits, probably not so much from vandalism but just from being battered by the elements. So glad we managed to get to the piece de resistance on the top floor - the consoles - even though it mean climbing through a slightly bent metal door! Thank you to whoever was in before us and managed to bend it enough to get through! Also managed to lose my torch on the way across to the site :banghead so had to rely on my beloved 4S, but it meant whenever I wanted to take a photo the torch turned off, hence most of the flash photos being out of focus :(

Not much to be found on the first 3 floors to be honest, apart from the odd report and token rotten light switches, but the top floor made it worthwhile. Managed to climb up onto the 'roof' (what's left of it) which had incredible views! Got a bit paranoid after that incase anyone had seen me on the top from the live part of the site so we scarpered sharpish after that!

Anyway, pics... sorry it's a bit pic heavy...

IMG_2673_edit.jpg

IMG_2680_edit.jpg

IMG_2683_edit.jpg

IMG_2688_edit.jpg

IMG_2696_edit.jpg

IMG_2700_edit.jpg

IMG_2701_edit.jpg

IMG_2703_edit.jpg

IMG_2710_edit.jpg

IMG_2715_edit.jpg

IMG_2720_edit.jpg

IMG_2721_edit.jpg