real time web analytics
Report - - Lancaster Moor Asylum - May & November 2013 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lancaster Moor Asylum - May & November 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lancaster Moor Hospital was Lancashire’s first County Lunatic Asylum. The decision to build it was taken in 1809, one year after the permissive County Asylums Act, 1808. Designed by architect Thomas Standen The hospital opened in 1816 as the ‘County Lunatic Asylum for the County Palatine of Lancaster’. The Asylum was extended in stages throughout the C19th and C20th, In 1878 the asylum acquired land on the north side of Quernmore Road and a large building known as the Annexe was designed by the architect Arnold Kershaw and opened in 1883 for the accommodation of 828 patients. The asylum was renamed Lancaster Moor Hospital under the National Health Service. The annexe and all associated buildings north of Quernmore Road had closed by 2000.

The buildings are constructed of stone; in the centre of the block over the main entrance is a clock tower about 100 feet in height, and there are smaller ones at the front extremity of each wing. The Asylum is a quadrangular building of stone construction, with a grand front, relieved by pillars of the Doric order, and at one time could hold up to 3,200 patients.

Our Visit

Visited with Ben, Beardy, Travis and Chard Remains. We had a good mooch around, eye’d up the climb to the tower but sadly didn’t have the time to attempt it as the visit was cut short :). We did however find the theatre which was a pleasant find after walking the very stripped out halls and wards. There didnt appear to be any clear access to the wards on the far right of northern wing of the building but we could have missed something. The loft space was really fun along with the interior of one of the smaller towers. We did have a near miss with secca I was just setting up the tripod for a shot of a really nice bay window when he appeared from the right of the window. We made eye contact before I bolted, alerted the group and we escaped without any further bother :).

LancasterMoor-1.jpg

LancasterMoor-2.jpg

LancasterMoor-3.jpg

LancasterMoor-4.jpg

LancasterMoor-5.jpg

LancasterMoor-6.jpg

LancasterMoor-7.jpg

LancasterMoor-8.jpg

LancasterMoor-10.jpg

LancasterMoor-11.jpg

LancasterMoor-12.jpg

LancasterMoor-13.jpg

LancasterMoor-14.jpg

And the revisit for the other wing...

LancasterMoorAsylumMurals-1.jpg

LancasterMoorAsylumMurals-3.jpg

LancasterMoorAsylumMurals-11.jpg

LancasterMoorAsylumMurals-9.jpg

LancasterMoorAsylumMurals-6.jpg

LancasterMoorAsylumMurals-8.jpg

Cheers for looking, higher res copies and more on my website: http://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/...tal-aka-lancaster-asylum-lancashire-may-2013/

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Excellent stuff, shame it had been stripped out though. I like the shots up the tower, medieval looking, I never got to see that.

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent stuff, shame it had been stripped out though. I like the shots up the tower, medieval looking, I never got to see that.
Cheers man was accessed through the loft space which i got to through some bizarre door off the side of one of the smaller staircases... its not the main tower is one of the side ones the fish eye just males it look larger! wanted to do the middle one but we had to bail early both visits due to unwanted visitors on site :)

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
great piks pal wouldn't mind a look up that clock tower bey its great up there , cheers for sharing

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Lost got up the tower back in the day. God knows how as it was always locked when we went and you couldn't get to it without setting the alarm off. Presume it was also locked after they started work as no one seems to have been up.

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lost got up the tower back in the day. God knows how as it was always locked when we went and you couldn't get to it without setting the alarm off. Presume it was also locked after they started work as no one seems to have been up.
I think the best shot would have been when the scaffolding tower was up around the base of it. Missed my chance then as security were wondering about a lot that day. Development is well towards completion now new house further down on site and new windows lights on inside the main asylum building. Didn't even find the way to it from inside to check if it was locked but there were plenty of locked doors so I expect it would have still been sealed.

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
assuming the graf is part of the deco,
if it isnt then must of took a while too apply? nice tho.
I believe it was yes, apparently done by patients while they were there... its just that one corridor and the entrance but quite dramatic :)