After doing some work up in Lancaster OneByOne said we should have a pop at the town hall. Hoods up, route planned and off we went.
Ladder after ladder with creaking boards we made our way across the roof. Climbing up the ladders, dodging the old tiles and then sliding down drains. The three of us made the step into the clock tower and it felt sketchier than being outside.
Electricity boxes buzzed, fire alarm lights flickered and the emergency lights gave off a dull glow so you were just able to walk.
Climbing/Tripping up the stairs in the silence was too tense, the nightclubs below pumping out failing karaoke singers. The last climb was made and infront of us stood the clock mechanism with hundreds of scribingâ€™s from those who had visited the tower before us.
The town hall was completed and opened on the 27th December 1909, the clock mech being built 4 years beforehand.
Waring and Gillows were the main contractors for the stone work, furniture and wood carvings. The stone carving over the front steps was undertaken by F.W. Pomfrey and the stain glass windows were produced by local firm Shrigley and Hunt.
The Town Hall incorporated all the Council's services and departments. In addition Lancaster Police Station, including cells, was in the basement, the Magistrates Court was based on the ground floor, with a separate staircase to the police cells. The first floor housed the Mayor's Parlour, Reception Rooms, Committee Rooms and Council Chamber. To the rear of the building was Ashton Hall and adjacent to the Town Hall was the new Fire Station.
The final cost of the complete works, which also included a redevelopment of Dalton Square and the erection of a statue of Queen Victoria, was Â£155,000.
Cheers to the SNC and thanks for looking!