real time web analytics
Report - - Langleybury School, Hertfordshire, February 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Langleybury School, Hertfordshire, February 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PCWOX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Langleybury was a country house and estate in Hertfordshire, England situated 2 miles north of the town of Watford on a low hill above the valley of the River Gade.
In 1947 the estate was sold to Hertfordshire County Council who converted the house and grounds into a secondary school, named Langleybury School, which opened in 1949. In the late 1950s a modern school building was built to the south of the mansion which remained in use as part of the school and as teacher accommodation.

Langleybury School closed in 1996 and for a time partly housed Hertfordshire County Council Social Services offices. The empty modern school became a favoured film location site, notably for the Hope and Glory TV series of 1999 starring Lenny Henry as the headteacher and Amanda Redman as the deputy headteacher. :) Nope, I don't remember the series either!

Visited with bauhausgirl. Sadly, the old manor house is very tightly sealed, but some parts of the school were accessible.

file-52.jpg

file-54.jpg

Depressing looking school...
file-37.jpg

file-5.jpg

file-10.jpg

file-16.jpg

file-21.jpg

file-1.jpg

Science lesson anyone?
file.jpg

Switches
file-18.jpg

file-27.jpg

file-13.jpg

file-28.jpg

file-46.jpg

Map of London - bit odd.
file-43.jpg

file-41.jpg

file-40.jpg

file-6.jpg

file-31.jpg

file-45.jpg

file-53.jpg

Anyone for tennis?
file-59.jpg

Company...
file-58.jpg

This would have been great....
file-51.jpg

Minke

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wow. Many thanks for sharing these pics.

I attended Langleybury (between 1978 and 1985), so these pictures are very poignant to me.

Was the site easily accessible ? Would love to go exploring there with my camera.

Clive Gadsden

28DL Member
28DL Member
its still standing but there is a security guard there, you can drive down to the old mansion but cant get into the main school blocks. I had a chat with the guard but he wouldnt let me look around . I was at Langleybury from 1972 to77

Jamesbarwick

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi, do you get to the school through ********** or is there a quicker way, just wondering

Last edited by a moderator: