Web
Analytics
Report - - Lathbury House (Liverpool, July 2018) | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lathbury House (Liverpool, July 2018)

Hyde

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I first attempted to explore Lathbury House on Ullet Road back in May 2018, it’s a place I drive past all the time and I’ve always loved the architecture of the place, to me it was a statement of Liverpool’s past. It was a place I recognised from early childhood as a personal landmark due to its unusual and quirky design. Which someone else clearly thought as well since it is also on the front of an album of a local band (which I didn’t know until I read @Urbanchemists report of Lathbury House). Frankly it’s a great little building and I’m sad it’s going.

I’ve wanted to visit since it was first marked for demolition, and one very hot week in May I thought I had my chance, unfortunately I had to abort the mission first time around as there was a black car belonging to a security guard on the site at the time. After that I was regretfully sick for two weeks but finally in mid-July 2018 I got the chance to go again, this time I convinced a friend of mine to come with me and thus our passion for Urbex began.

I have some information about the site:

Firstly there are two buildings on the site.
The first is “Croxteth Lodge,” a Victorian villa, typical of those typically found around Sefton Park and on Ullet Road itself although most of these buildings have been since been turned into flats.
The second building “Lathbury House” is a classic 1960’s architectural composition. It has some fantastic architectural design of the time, including a beautiful geometric staircase with cut-outs, and an impressive, heavy looking water tank atop the building.

It was designed as part of the City Councils "Hostels for the Elderly" programme around 1963-65. The architects were a local Liverpool firm “Rowse and Harker” (although Rowse was ill and died around this time and most likely had no part in this design). The building cost £101,000 at the time and housed fifty-two residents. It was built in the grounds of "Croxteth Lodge", an old mansion house acquired for the same development programme about fifteen years earlier.

The white external handrail on the outside pavement, the white door and screen alongside and the canopy are all later additions and not part of the original design. [1]

“Lathbury House” continued to be used as a care home for several decades until 1996, when planning was granted for it to be converted to communal student flats, which is what it has remained ever since and there is still evidence of students who lived there today, but funnily enough we found some commodes inside the building that we believe may be originally from when it was a residential care home and had been stored in the attic or an old store room until either a demolition employee or someone else found them.

In 2007, two planning applications were submitted. One was for permission to demolish Lathbury House, the other to replace it with a 3-4 storey block of apartments, and convert the adjacent Croxteth Lodge into additional residential housing. The application to demolish Lathbury House was approved although never implemented, while the residential application for “Croxteth Lodge” was withdrawn.

Thus Lathbury House continued to remain student housing until about March 2018 when Liverpool Council put up the notice it was to be demolished It looks like it was possibly compulsory purchased by the council itself, I know 1960’s buildings are often considered “ugly” and a lot contain asbestos which the government wants to be rid of understandably as it is a public health risk.

The new plans state “Croxteth Lodge” is to be converted into a children's day nursery for 100 children. Meanwhile “Lathbury House” will be completely demolished and be replaced by a four storey residential block, comprising 35 apartments. The developer is Your Exclusive Developments Ltd and the architect is Howard and Seddon Architects. [2]
Before entering the site we saw some BT workers putting in cables on the road next to “Lathbury House” I ended up speaking to one of them whilst waiting for the coast to be clear, he was a rather pleasant guy and he confirmed they were putting in cables for the development. I had to wait for them to move off meanwhile my friend was already on the site, but the road suddenly became busy before I could follow him.

I would like to think a local historian will save the place but due to the amount of vandalism that has happened since the notice went up (which was bound to happen when situated on a busy main road) and the short age of the building I feel it is highly unlikely to be saved.

I would recommend this to anyone who is a first time Urban Explorer like me as it’s not a particularly large site and it’s relatively safe inside, although I would recommend possibly investing in a P3 mask as I stated earlier it is built in an era where asbestos was commonplace among building materials, that being said we didn’t come across any disturbed asbestos that we know of and we did not wear a mask ourselves. We spent at least two hours taking video footage and photographs undisturbed by anyone until my camera ran out of battery on the last floor and as we got to the stairs I happened to glance through the window and spotted the same black car I saw back In May parked outside “Croxteth Lodge” and the door to said Lodge open (he must have been inside checking on it) needless to say we bolted, I don’t think he even saw us or knew we were there.
We found some interesting stuff on this excursion including a train ticket from 2014 and even a TV magazine dated 2003!

I have attached some photographs I took below, as well as six photos I found on a student let website that hasn’t been updated for three years of “Lathbury House” when it was still used as student accommodation.

I have also cited two websites where I found some information on the site in question.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the photographs (I may have gone a little overboard, but I had a hard time narrowing them down).

[1] http://architectuul.com/architecture/lathbury-house

[2] https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2075275

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 003.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 012.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 013.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 019.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 032.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 034.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 041.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 055.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 057.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 059.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 078.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 079.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 098.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 104.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 156.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 157.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 159.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 169.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 175.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 192.JPG

Lathbury House Urban Exploration July 2018 206.JPG

3402181.jpg

3402215.jpg

3402240.jpg

3402315.jpg

26746918468_032035f582_c.jpg

Screenshot-2018-5-3 All sizes To be demolished 2008 photo Flickr - Photo Sharing .png

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Excellent for a first report I'd say - and that's not just because I'm familiar with the place.

The pics look fine to me (on a PC) - you can get better control over size, and the pics seem come out a bit sharper, if you upload via flickr.

Hyde

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent for a first report I'd say - and that's not just because I'm familiar with the place.

The pics look fine to me (on a PC) - you can get better control over size, and the pics seem come out a bit sharper, if you upload via flickr.
Thank You for the advice :)
I'll have to spend some time playing around with Flkr etc.
I like how your photos look on your report kind of like two placed next to each other I might try to do that next time.

I'v read a few of your reports they look amazing especially the Littlewoods building one I walk past there nearly everyday and always wondered what it must look like inside, now I know.