real time web analytics
Report - - Latvia -Former Soviet missile base -2007 and 2011 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Latvia -Former Soviet missile base -2007 and 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

benkar

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My memories of the "Cold War" is the bitwise right vague, even though I am in the "right age" (old) :p:

As a kid in the 70s I read "If war breaks out" in the telephone-cataloge, often saw TV-news with reports of the 80's cold war, but thought that "Cold War" is something that affects central and not us in Sweden, at least when it comes to nuclear weapons, but I thought, probably wrong ... and luckily it well, otherwise I would probably concern me nearly all day.

In retrospect, I realize that our Swedish neighbors, the Baltic states, where part of the Soviet Union, was packed with nuclear weapons loaded medium-range missiles (range up to about 200 mil I think) to start ground-based, but also in undergrind silos.

I visited this missile base in autumn 2007, with a return visit in 2011, Aluksne / Zeltini base in Latvia, which had R-12 Dvina (SS-4 Sandal at NATO language) medium-range missiles / missile-based. Nuclear tip had a force of around a mega-t. The missile was 23 feet long including the 4-meter warhead. Nearby is a base where similar missiles were stored in underground silos.

The actual missile / launcher stood on Zeltinibasen the "hanger", while the nuclear vertices stored in a particular place. In real-life situation fueled it up missiles with fuel (apparently not entirely risk-free) and mounted on the nuclear peaks. In addition there were / are of course barracks and so on.

There were apparently thinking of hitting eastern positioned Swedish air bases with such, for example Tullinge airport south of Stockolm, Arlanda airport and other places, to prevent a Swedish protection of U.S. flights with nuclear weapons on the way to the Soviet Union. A small nuclear bomb near Stockholm...

Realizing also afterwards the visit on the base, there may be very poisonous residues left after certain components used in the fuel mixture, and that it was the repository of the nuclear tips they went around for a while, but went very well, is in all cases not selfluminous... yet.... :cool:

/B

The entire gallery with more pictures HERE!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

The entire gallery with more pictures HERE!