real time web analytics
Report - - Lavadero Roberto 1, Portman, Murcia | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lavadero Roberto 1, Portman, Murcia

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Max Speed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Here we go again,hope this ones better than yesterdays report which disappeared into obscurity..well it was kinda shite..

A brief history of Lavadero Roberto.It was opened in 1957 as part of the Portman mines and was the cleaning plant for the extracted minerals.Using sea water it pumped out 7,000 tons of oxide waste per day into the bay of Portman causing an ecological disaster that to this day still has affect on the area.It finally closed in 1988 after spewing an estimated 50 million tons of waste into the sea...disaster or what???
The site is huge so intended only covering a small part of it.I´d heard about the old shunter and wagons left on the tracks coming out of the mine and searched for them but to no avail,so decided to go on foot patrol.
Arriving at the site the temperature in the car read 32.5c and with a clear blue sky knew it was going to be hot work,especially when i saw all the steps i had to climb...this also convinced me to leave the main cleaning plant till another day.

On with the photos

Had to have a five minute fag break when i got to the top of here
_MG_3163_zps748bae2a.jpg

This is inside,the minerals were then passed along belts to the cleaning plant,the bridge and other conveyer belts that used to pass over the road are sadly no longer there.
_MG_3180_zpsaf90862c.jpg

_MG_3221_zps80c56069.jpg

Back outside and more steps,looking down upon the plant.
_MG_3218_zpsfdbd5db4.jpg

Looking out over the bay,the dark foreground is where the residues were dumped
_MG_3183_zpscaf895fb.jpg

Signs that i might be on the right track in search of the shunter
_MG_3208_zps602bbbea.jpg

First find..precauriously perched
_MG_3189_zps606426d3.jpg

A few more
_MG_3191_zps07bbab26.jpg

and more
_MG_3196_zpsadfb3a98.jpg

The boys over here must be slacking..leaving copper like this about!!!
_MG_3185_zpscae5852e.jpg

Finally
_MG_3205_zpse1fe6415.jpg

_MG_3197_zps4e6904dc.jpg

Entrance to the Tunel Jose Marstre
_MG_3193_zpsbc25b338.jpg

Making my way back and the mist had cleared in the bay showing of the newly installed platform,the building in the foreground is the cleansing plant
and from what ive heard its huge inside.I think you could spend a couple of weeks if not more in this area and still not cover everything.

_MG_3217_zps641f9d11.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Morrisey

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Re: Lavadero Roberto 1,Portman,Murcia

Pretty cool report that. The view from google maps shows just how fucked up that area is!

Max Speed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Very fkd up..but all makes for good mooching....beginning to regret swimming in the sea there now i´ve read all the reports lol

Muttley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Liking this, the light in the second photo looks great

Max Speed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

the entrance was flooded with a nice bright orange liquid and very marshy..this was as far as i could get..after searching other photos the vegetation wasnt there up to a year ago and given that the tracks still run into the tunnel I presume it would be solid underfoot

jST

LLS.
Regular User

Really nice, my Gran used to live just round the corner from here in Santiago de la Ribera. Looks spot on for a long tramp around (followed by cool cervezas)

Max Speed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Looks spot on for a long tramp around (followed by cool cervezas)

wouldnt be worth it without a couple of those ..lol

I know Santiago de la Ribera quite well...a nice big military site there right next to the airport...the southern end of it seems quite deserted but access is well dodgy