real time web analytics
Report - - Law and Disorder Culvert, Somersetshire, Jan 2012 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Law and Disorder Culvert, Somersetshire, Jan 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Came across a few clues to this one whilst pawing over old OS maps, and then found a brief reference to it in an environmental impact survey.

Not big into this whole 'naming rights' thing - but this one had no name that I could find :rolleyes:

'Law and Disorder Culvert' seemed like the right name to me.

But more on the reason for that later
judge.gif

So, upon the first day of 2012 'Judge John Urbanity' 'Detective Constipational Styru' and 'Prisoner 24601 Frayedsanity' ventured below Somersetshire to follow themselves a culvert that runs beneath our fair county town.

This is an explore that took over a year to complete - well we tried on the evening of 31st Dec. - but the water at the lower end was over wader-height
(and wader-height is well above 'nads' height :eek:) - so a wetsuited return was called for the following year (all of 12 hours later ;))

This culvert only runs for a few hundred metres - but takes an interesting course (more on that later), for much of its run it is traditional stone built, with a bit of concrete section thrown in for good measure (not to mention carp a foot long!)

landd_16.jpg

An early start....

landd_07.jpg

The upper entrance.

landd_19.jpg

landd_20.jpg

landd_08.jpg

landd_13.jpg

Urbanity shores up the wall to ensure safe passage..

landd_17.jpg

landd_51.jpg

"It's toooo early...."

landd_24.jpg

Where does this hole go?

landd_26.jpg

Only one way to find out......

landd_61.jpg

landd_36.jpg

Transition from stone to concrete...

landd_37.jpg

landd_40.jpg

landd_33.jpg

landd_32.jpg

landd_64.jpg

landd_46.jpg

Shallow here - but note the 'tide level' on my t-shirt!

landd_68.jpg

landd_69.jpg

DSC_2661.jpg

The end in sight.

But, of course, its not just what's underground, it's where it goes that matters too - and that's where 'Law and Disorder Culvert' earns its name .....

See below....

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
So, as those of you that know Somersetshire (that's two locals, an Open University Professor, and a pig called Nigel probably) will have worked out from the 'County Town' reference, this is in Taunton.

Top and bottom ends of the culvert are at about 20m difference in height - so it's downhill all the way!!

DSC_2693.jpg

Running from the towns main park the river runs behind buildings new and old, before disappearing beneath the grounds of this one:

DSC_2690.jpg

I think the big blue dangling lights out front give it's purpose away :p

It then runs under this road:

DSC_2692.jpg

(more on the occupants of that blue car later)

Before running below the grounds of the building below:

DSC_2686.jpg

Which, sadly, was not open for Frayedsanity to visit:

DSC_2689.jpg

DSC_2687.jpg

Yep, it's the Crown Court :rolleyes:

DSC_2680.jpg

DSC_2684.jpg

It then passes beneath open land, before passing under a road and emerging between the two buildings above, one of which is a grand public display of devoted worship (I am, of course, refering to the Debenhams offices on the right :p)

DSC_2672.jpg

The lower exit, water chest deep at this stage!!

DSC_2669.jpg

Before shallowing out into a lovely little stream once more .....

But what of the blue car I hear you ask?

Well, clearly being seen in a public place with a camera makes me a suspicious, naughty boy :rolleyes:

Within seconds of us walking towards the station that car had blocked myself and Frayedsanity, and the two nice officers on board wanted to know why I had a camera, why I was out on new years day, etc. (I should add that we were no longer in wetsuits or wet clothing)

DSC_3067.jpg

badge.jpg

(oopps, how did that one sneak in?)

So, one culvert, one police station, one court house, one terrorism lecture - I think 'Law and Disorder Culvert' is an ideal name :rolleyes:

Cheers for the company :thumb

One final .gif:

gickrcom_08536d85-73b8-fa64-29d8-02e337a4c90e.gif

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Wicked report mate, good to see the NY lulZ have started already, can't beat a good run in with the law, I love it :thumb

hooch-lemon

EXPLORING SOMERSET
28DL Full Member
:eek: Wicked, Well done looks like a lot of fun i know the exit not sure i can picture the entrance but good work :Not Worthy :thumb

urbanity

28dl flâneur
28DL Full Member
Fun times under the T. It's only proper culverting when the water's up to your nippys :eek: :eek:

1LawandDisorderCulvert.jpg

5pentagramsection.jpg

6FrayedSanity.jpg

towardsoutfall.jpg

Last edited:

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
I'm liking that a lot!

Good to see theres still new stuff to be found. :)