real time web analytics
Report - - Lawrence and Co Boot and Shoe Factory, Desborough - September 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lawrence and Co Boot and Shoe Factory, Desborough - September 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The devil child

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I found out about this place from my girlfriend who said she used to go in here over 10 years ago as kids and that it still stands so i eagerly mentioned going over to check it out, On arrival i noticed how much overgrown bushes, trees and grass really hide away most the lower part of the building, its like going through a jungle to get to it. The building has been stripped of nearly everything in it, there is still a few things to see and worth a quick look if passing by there is 2 cottages from the 17th century on the grounds as well both derelict, I sadly didn't have time to see them as i dragged my girlfriend along and she was impatiently waiting out the front on a bench so it was a short and sweet visit :D I found a document about the history of it from the council so iv took a few bits out of that but nothing about the closure in it though,
This building was built in 1868 and used to be called Benjamin Riley, This company traded till 1937 at the premises, it was then taken over by R.S.Lawrence to form Lawrence and Co Boot and shoe factory. Over the years it expanded its grounds and factories (which has all been knocked down since closure) making it a very big factory in its hay day, I'm thinking the closure was around 1999, not a lot of paperwork with dates to go by either. Tesco have been trying to put planning permission to knock this 18th century factory and five 17th century cottages (2 derelict and 3 still habitable) down to make way for a new superstore which has still not been accepted after over 5 years.

Building shots notice the over growth in every external shot,
DSC_0950-1.gif

View attachment 562532

View attachment 562533

On the 2nd floor
View attachment 562534

View attachment 562535

View attachment 562536

View attachment 562537

Saved by the bell:D
View attachment 562538

View attachment 562539