real time web analytics
Report - - LDV Group Ltd, Birmingham Pressings - July 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - LDV Group Ltd, Birmingham Pressings - July 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
LDV Group Ltd, Birmingham - July 2009

This is one hell of a place, a truly epic site. Although possibly the most nerve-racking experience so far, with loud noises coming from everywhere. After getting in to the press works all manner of bangs were coming from the far side, which I assumed to be security closing in. Turned out it was a mixture of cargo doors in the wind, and seagulls on the roof. I took this trip on my own, and after waiting for the sun to rise enough to light the machinery I started wandering around.

LDV was formed in 1993 as Leyland DAF Vans Limited following a management buy-out of DAF NV's Leyland DAF van manufacturing division, following the bankruptcy of the Dutch company. Later the name was officially changed to LDV Limited.

Prior to its merger with Leyland Trucks and DAF Trucks in 1987 it was part of the British Leyland / Rover Group empire and was latterly the Freight Rover arm of the Land Rover Group division.

In December 2005, after going into administration, LDV was bought by group Sun Capital/Sun European Partners and was subject to a financial restructuring. What Van reported LDVs commitment to its existing customers, including an assurance from their marketing director that their production target of 1000 vans per month would put them well above break-even point.

The Russian GAZ Group acquired LDV on 31 July 2006, and also established a new company, GAZ International, based in the UK, to focus on the automotive industry.

Due to the severe worldwide recession, production was halted at LDV's Birmingham factory in December 2008.

On 29 April 2009 LDV Group Limited applied to go into administration.

On Tuesday, 5 May 2009, it was announced that the UK government was to make a temporary loan of £5m to the Malaysian company Weststar in aid of its bid to take over LDV.

On Tuesday, 2 June 2009, Weststar announced it was not able to raise finance for its take-over bid, placing LDV back into administration on 8 June 2009. (LDV Group - Wikipedia)

Brace yourself for photo overload.

1.jpg

The press shop (R Block) from the central courtyard.

2.jpg

BEASTS. You can't appreciate the size of these things until you're standing underneath it.

3.jpg

This makes the pressing machinery look tiny, it's just a massive building. Pressing molds are stacked up everywhere, all over the works.

4.jpg

It's just like the plant's shut for the weekend, and the workers are due back 8am Monday morning.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Next was the Maxus vehicle assembly hall (F Block), full of everything you need to make your own van.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
Next was on to J Block, which houses Water testing, and repair bays amongst other unknown things.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Layout designs of commercial vehicles.

26.jpg

There were hundreds of decals and stickers on these benchs.

27.jpg

A functional and mechanical testing ramp.

28.jpg

Heat lamps.

29.jpg

There are vans EVERYWHERE.

30.jpg

I paid one last visit to the Press shop to see if the light had improved from earlier, and to get a few more shots as they're addictive.

31.jpg

32.jpg

There's still SO much more to see, more visits are definitely in order.

Last edited: