real time web analytics
Report - - Le Corbusier's Convent De La Tourette, Lyon, France. 30.12.08 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Le Corbusier's Convent De La Tourette, Lyon, France. 30.12.08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Gorecki

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
La Tourette was built as a Dominican priest school. This meant to Corbusier that he had to design a machine to enable one hundred men to live together in a community with strict rules – men who prepare for their priesthood by study and meditation. Dominican rules and daily routines got to be the basis for the program. There is a balance between work and prayer, solitude and forgathering. Corbusier successfully created a silent place of meditation, study and peace.

Concrete cracking, defective insulation and dangerously installed electricity, calls for a complete restoration of La Tourette.
It's now closed and I visited here a few days ago. Not a soul was to be seen. It was silent and beautiful. I studied Le Corbusier when I was an architect student and I fell in love with his brutalism style. I was happy to be here =]

I did not get into the convent itself, but things were lying about from a clear out inside I presume, broken windows and even some graffiti in places. People had seemed to stopped caring for it. Not what I expected coming from one of Le Corbusier's most famous buildings :/

Anyways, hope you like the pictures... I'm sure if this was in the UK it would be described as an "eyesore".

IMG_9424copy.jpg

IMG_9450.jpg

IMG_9466copy.jpg

IMG_9488copy.jpg

IMG_9486copy.jpg

IMG_9485copy.jpg

IMG_9517copy.jpg

IMG_9515copy.jpg

IMG_9476copy.jpg

IMG_9472copy.jpg

IMG_9454copy.jpg

IMG_9505copy.jpg