real time web analytics
Report - - Lead Shot Tower, Chester - 09\07\06 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lead Shot Tower, Chester - 09\07\06

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visit with Turk. Wow... This was just fantastic! For those who are not farmiliar with a lead shot tower, I shall explain.

Lead is taken up to the top of the tower in blocks. It is melted, poured through a mesh and then falls like rain into water at the bottom of the tower. As it falls gravity forms the droplet into a prefect sphere.

So, we eventually found the base of the tower... looked up and WOW!! A mass of stairs running up the walls of the tower, and the old ladders which the stairs replaced are also still in place. We made our way up and let me tell you... If you have any kind of fear of heights this is not for you!! At one point the banister is missing and has been replaced by string!! At the top the lead smelting equipment is all still in place. There is even a crucible stuck in the middle of the lead in the smalting pot!

This really is one of the best towers I have ever done!

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0410.jpg

DSC_0414.jpg

DSC_0416.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0433.jpg

DSC_0434.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Re: Lead Shot Tower (Double wow!) Chester REPORT

Few more, and one of the crucible set in the lead.

DSC_0440.jpg

DSC_0454.jpg

DSC_0465.jpg

DSC_0472.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User

The string handrail bit was o.k coming up, but coming back down is really dodgy. There is some cables for a mobile phone reciever you have to push past, forcing you to lean ovet the drop!:eek:

Also, someone has been at the top throwing things at the staircase, so some of the steps and sections of the handrail are bent and twisted! One of the steps is snapped in half!! All added to the fun of it though!

Raddog

28DL Full Member

someone has been at the top throwing things at the staircase

:eek: because it would be great to destroy the staircase while you were at the top....

FFS some people don't deserve to survive :confused: