real time web analytics
Report - - Ledston Luck Winding House and Castleford Viaduct, Castleford - November 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ledston Luck Winding House and Castleford Viaduct, Castleford - November 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RJwakefield18

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

Ledston Luck pit was sunk in the 1870's and later formed part of the “superpitâ€￾ of interlinked workings around Selby.
Ledston luck miners where the last to return to work after the miners strike, a year to the day after the National Coal Board (NCB) announced plans to shed 20,000 more jobs in the next financial year.
This was due to the Mine manager deciding to stamp his authority on his workers, when they arrived for work after the last day of the stike they found he had chained the gates shut saying he'd decide when they could return to work, not them.
Their pit would be closed less than two years later.
The two winding Houses were built in 1911 and where among the first to use electric winders, at a time most other mines were still using steam.
The Winding Houses are on the English Heritage list of scheduled ancient monuments.

Visit.

Driving past on my way to local Kippax I noticed that the next door warehouse and the west winding house were fully opened up, so fancied an explore. The winding house has been well and truely ruined since other visits

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

While about fancied a quick look around the old Hicks chemical factory, only to find out that its now back in operation :banghead, so took a walk along Castleford viaduct :)

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

Last edited: