real time web analytics
Report - - Leighterton ROC Post - Gloucestershire Group - July 2010 | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Leighterton ROC Post - Gloucestershire Group - July 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Leighterton ROC Post - Gloucestershire Group

Date Opened: May 1963
Date Closed: September 1991

The post is OPEN. The post is in a very large compound a mile or so from the village of Leighterton. According to subbrit and other reports all surface features remain; however the compound is extremely overgrown at this time of year so all we could find was the access hatch. The hatch itself has been damaged and does not close fully, and the muddy green paint is flaking.

Internally, the post is fairly dry but many items have disappeared since previous visits, including the ROC Journals, the chemical toilet and a sign. However, enough remains to make it interesting - heaps of aircraft magazines, paperwork, fire blanket, a couple of mattresses and a map. I understand that the interior FSM point at this post is very unusual.

The access hatch:

IMG_5679.jpg

And down the shaft:

IMG_5662.jpg

Into the monitoring room:

IMG_5640.jpg

IMG_5645-2.jpg

The unusual FSM attachment:

IMG_5647.jpg

Metar Report forms, flight magazines and a tin of vaseline:

IMG_5653.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

The asbestos fire blanket, still rolled up in it's case:

IMG_5660.jpg

And finally the map (showing places where aircraft can refuel, no idea why this was down here):

IMG_5670.jpg

Joe and I visited this post just after visiting the Dursley post. It's the first '91 closure that I have actually been inside, and it did not disappoint. One thing I will say is that it's probably easier to visit in winter - the nettles are head height, and the bees living in the bee-hives within the compound do not take kindly to visitors.

Andoversford ~ Barnwood ~ Dursley ~ Leighterton ~ Poulton ~ Stoke Orchard ~ Stroud ~ Westbury-on-Severn

Thanks for looking,

George