real time web analytics
Report - - Leopold Fortress, France - October 2017 | European and International Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Leopold Fortress, France - October 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
That is a shame, the turrets were alongside the murals in terms of coolness.

Did you make it to any others in the area? Verdun was well worth it too as it had a tonne of battle damage

The_Raw

Staff member
That is a shame, the turrets were alongside the murals in terms of coolness.

Did you make it to any others in the area? Verdun was well worth it too as it had a tonne of battle damage

Did jeanne d'arc which was a bit disappointing, and checked a load of maginot stuff

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Did jeanne d'arc which was a bit disappointing, and checked a load of maginot stuff

That's a shame, we did a few plus a bunch of Gros Ouvrages. There is only so much tunnel and fort you can take before you get bored lol. Look forward to more of your photos.

These were the turrets:

24976408368_49924231ba_b.jpg

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
pic 5 + 25
"Saufst, stirbst, saufst nit, stirbst a, also gsuffa" (Bavarian dialect)
= "you booze, you die, you don't booze, you die too, so booze"
-
pic 25 right
"Los der Mooth nit sinke : los mer lever noch ein drinke" (rhineland dialect I think, Dusseldorf; Cologne or so)
"do not let sink (lose) courage, better let's have another booze."
-
dialect, very difficult for a non native german speaker
pic 25: electric goes over the writing, so it came later, I think

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
the seaview yes, great.
nice report Mr. Raw
-
pic 4:
"Münchner Kindl in Kamerun"
"Münchner Kindl" = munich child, symbol for Munich ( https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Münchner_Kindl )
maybe it means a pub too.
The Stein (Krug) in his hands shows "HB" for "Hofbräu" Munich and he got a big radish in his hand,
eaten normally at beerfest with salt and bread.
The boy is wearing a turban;
this plays in Kamerun, Deutsch Westafrika ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_South_West_Africa ).
I think that is what the Münchner Kindl looking like there
-
+ "Mensch, ärgere dich nicht" = don't get angry ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch_ärgere_dich_nicht )
-
pic 26: "Wer zankt oder hetzt, wird an die Luft gesetzt"
who quarrels or verbal offends will be set to fresh air
hetzen here is permanently talking against someone, fresh air is the air outside.
offenders will be kicked out, I would say
-
pic 27 right:
"Alte Taler, junge Weiber, sind die besten Zeitvertreiber"
My say: good money and young young girls, time goes by like nothing
-
"Old money, young women are the best pastimes" they say: http://www.germansteins.com/beer-stein-translations/

The_Raw

Staff member
That's a shame, we did a few plus a bunch of Gros Ouvrages. There is only so much tunnel and fort you can take before you get bored lol. Look forward to more of your photos.

I've posted quite a few bits from this trip and the previous trip if you fancy a look mate; Brehain, Rochonvillers, Latiremont, Mont des Welches, and Hobling - think that's most of them​

Old enough to know better

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Managed a solo trip into the fort late May this year. Loved it Was in an hour and a half on my own but batteries started to give out. Going back later this year for another go, obviously missed quite a lot. Great photos, put mine to shame.

freshwateriow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Managed a solo trip into the fort late May this year. Loved it Was in an hour and a half on my own but batteries started to give out. Going back later this year for another go, obviously missed quite a lot. Great photos, put mine to shame.
Did you ever get back to the Fortress? Looks like a good explore

Old enough to know better

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Did you ever get back to the Fortress? Looks like a good explore
Yes, I was in there on my own for nearly 3 hours in late May. I'll post some picyures when I've got time. It's an absolute 'must visit'. Another fort about 2 miles away is open to public on weekends. Check out 'group fortification Yser'.