real time web analytics
Report - - Leri / tweed mill tal y bont Wales April 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Leri / tweed mill tal y bont Wales April 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Another stop on our Wales tour was this old mill. Myself @Dangle_Angle and @GK_WAX and non member Dylan. The mill is in bad condition but I was surprised how bright and good condition the spools had kept. Wasn't a lot to see. But it did have a nice river and waterfall running along side the mill. Here's some history and photos..
History

Leri Mills was one of Ceredigions first woolen mills. It was built from around 1809 consisting of several buildings; two tweed mills, a spinning and carding shed, a wool / washing shed, a dye shed and a craft shop.

Initially the tweed was sold locally to farmers and miners but for at least the last thirty years of operation the mill was open to the public, with demonstrations of all of the processes on view, and most importantly a shop that sold tweed, garthen (a tapestry used as a bed covering), rugs and postcards.

The rise of foreign travel in the late seventies led to a fairly rapid decline in business

Sadly the mill finally stopped trading in April 1981 and was initially put on the market for £150,000.
A buyer wasn't found and the mill remains in the family that ran it from at least 1950.

IMG_3293_zpse7bnqnmj.jpg

IMG_3294_zpsthaye9lv.jpg

IMG_3295_zpsmquaexaw.jpg

IMG_3296_zps28wpmuqy.jpg

IMG_3297_zpsd1wjobl0.jpg

IMG_3298_zpsvs7xyyoh.jpg

IMG_3299_zpsoivf1u77.jpg

IMG_3300_zpshimksyc3.jpg

IMG_3302_zps9h3ingsf.jpg

IMG_3301_zps9emwli38.jpg

IMG_3312_zpscrpuion3.jpg

IMG_3311_zpsvq6lichq.jpg

IMG_3306_zpsovukenzl.jpg

IMG_3307_zpssc2ruj7l.jpg

IMG_3304_zpsppnyq9hr.jpg

IMG_3305_zpshkyvqwmz.jpg

IMG_3303_zpsisxcrxp1.jpg

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Very nice, looks like someones been putting more loom on those machines!

Trust you went down road and did Celuen while in the area?

Lavino

28DL Full Member
@tumbles yeah we did that mill first and then walked down to this one. There was actually another mill a little further up the river that I haven't seen anyone report on.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
@tumbles yeah we did that mill first and then walked down to this one. There was actually another mill a little further up the river that I haven't seen anyone report on.

Interesting - there Leri obvoiusly has two parts.. the one by where the owners live and this part. Then there is an old one in the village square thats converted and Celuen which accounts for 3.. There is another one downstream from Leri that is converted but I think there were five in total so maybe you've found the illusive other one!

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Nice shots. The colours in there are still so strong after 35 years
There was actually another mill a little further up the river that I haven't seen anyone report on.
If it's just up the river but on the other side I think it's this that @jST did it a while ago

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/leri-lerry-tweed-mills-tal-y-bont-wales-december-2013.t86321

and I went a month later

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/leri-top-mill-tal-y-bont-january-2014.t87148

I think the fifth was Bridge Factory Mill. It stood right by the bridge. It got converted to housing.

This is it in 1900

1900BridgeFactory.jpg

1900BridgeFactoryampTalybontBridge.jpg