real time web analytics
Report - - Les Charbonnages du Hasard Cheratte, Belgium 2008/03/31 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Les Charbonnages du Hasard Cheratte, Belgium 2008/03/31

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

R

RedDave

There have already been several reports on this mine, but it's my first time there, even though I lived in Liege for a while. I visited the site on my own during a brief holiday in Belgium. There is no security, and I found access to the site easier than I expected.

The view from Rue de Visé.
cheratte01.jpg

Pipes at the edge of the site.
cheratte02.jpg

There are two adjacent adits, one of which looked out of the question. The one I entered didn't look particularly safe either, as there have been small cave-ins. Further along the tunnel appears to be blocked by a wall, with a circular opening in it, but I didn't go that far, as I didn't want to push my luck. I wore a hard hat, which came in handy as I bumped it quite hard on the roof of the adit.
cheratte03.jpg

cheratte04.jpg

cheratte05.jpg

Further down the tunnel. Note the rails.
cheratte06.jpg

cheratte07.jpg

Looking back.
cheratte08.jpg

These photos were taken in the tower in the main building. The staircase and floors looked safe, so I went up to the top floor.
cheratte09.jpg

cheratte10.jpg

cheratte11.jpg

View out of the window towards the second tower.
cheratte12.jpg

cheratte13.jpg

cheratte14.jpg

cheratte15.jpg

cheratte16.jpg

After I left the tower, I saw four youths who had entered the site. They made a lot of noise and it sounded as if they were doing some damage. I hid from them inside a small electricity room. One of them, who looked about 14, entered and there was no way I could have avoided being seen. So I shone the bright LED torch that I use for light painting at him, and he ran out screaming,:) He and his friends left the site and I was able to explore again in peace. A close call. SWMBO is now getting worried about me exploring, but you can get trouble from unruly youths anywhere.

I moved on to other parts of the site. I missed out the other parts of the main building, which judging by others' reports look very interesting. However, visiting them would have left me with little time for my second exploration later on that day,
cheratte17.jpg

Most of the paperwork I saw dated from around 1963.
cheratte18.jpg

cheratte19.jpg

Looking towards the third tower, on the other side of Rue de Visé.
cheratte20.jpg

cheratte21.jpg

cheratte22.jpg

cheratte23.jpg

cheratte24.jpg

cheratte25.jpg

No entry to this adit, as there was a locked gate. The photo was taken through the gate,
cheratte26.jpg

I found this document dated 1926. It was out in the open so I put it inside the tower visible in the second image.
cheratte27.jpg

I left the site after spending three hours there, and headed back to Liege for my second exploration, of La Chartreuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details