real time web analytics
Report - - Level-Headed, Manchester - September 2020 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Level-Headed, Manchester - September 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

moako

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not the most exciting CSO, but worth posting due to the awkwardness of the surrounding setup in an uneven terrain. Situated in north Manchester, a relatively small interceptor makes its way through the steep hillside of Drinkwater Park, appearing above ground on a couple of occasions as an iron pipe as it crosses large ditches. The first crossing comprises of just a pipe with an inspection chamber either end. (The above-ground photos were taken earlier this year).

1.png

The upstream inspection chamber with displaced lid.

2.png

3.png

About 100 metres downstream, the interceptor crosses another ditch via an iron pipe, this time with inspection chambers either side of the ditch, each receiving a connection from a trunk sewer. A CSO chamber (centre bottom) is situated on the flow of one of the trunk sewers immediately before it connects with the interceptor in the second inspection chamber (middle right).

5.png

The unusually tall inspection chambers have to do with the water level reached at high flows, which becomes higher than the ground level in the immediate area. The upstream of each trunk sewer, which connects with the chambers, cascades down an array of inspection chambers from the housing estate above. It would appear that the CSO chamber is not there simply to regulate the flow of the trunk sewer which runs through it, but to regulate the overall water level of the surrounding system. The water level will be the same in all of the chambers during flooding.

The CSO chamber is comprised mostly of brick, with a channel supported by brick columns running through the middle, carrying the trunk sewer.

7.png

9.png

Iron weirs are in place either side of the channel.

13.png

The electronic device on the wall above the downstream section is an ultrasonic level detector, connected to a data logger just below the chamber manhole cover, which alerts UU via the mobile phone network when the CSO is in flood.

15.png

17.png

19.png

From here this trunk sewer joins the interceptor a few metres downstream, which eventually connects with a larger interceptor to Prestwich pumping station. From there, the local sewage is pumped via a sewer force-main to Ringley WWTW.

Last edited:

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Nice report!
I have a big soft spot for Manchester sewers so this is a good little read.
There must have been severe overflowing in pic number two, shame UU doesn't inspect and maintain its assets as frequently as it should. That missing lid has been spaffing its filthy load for ages. Shame the Environment Agency are such impotent cretins, this shit needs sorting out.

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Nice report - thanks for sharing! It's hands down the smallest overflow I've ever seen but interesting none-the-less. Also, do you get the impression that this was the brickies first brick manhole he'd built? Do you think it was his last :banghead

moako

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report - thanks for sharing! It's hands down the smallest overflow I've ever seen but interesting none-the-less. Also, do you get the impression that this was the brickies first brick manhole he'd built? Do you think it was his last :banghead
Ha, it wasn't until I couldn't seem to get my camera "straight" that I noticed the brickwork :sleep although it isn't much worse than some of the concreting jobs I've seen in a couple of modern ones. The smaller CSO's admittedly aren't the most impressive finds, but I agree still interesting...
IMG-0506.png

Who has read this thread (Total: 218) View details