real time web analytics
Report - - Levenseat Mine - West Lothian - May 2016 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Levenseat Mine - West Lothian - May 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

yellowdog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A bit of History

Levenseat – the name
The name Levenseat is believed to originate from the time of the Covenanters in the
17th Century. The story is that a group of 11 Covenanters met regularly for open-air
worship at a seat shaped rock near what is now Leven Seat trig point. The name
“Levenseat” is derived from the words “Eleven” and “Seat”.
Confusingly, there are two renderings of the name in use. The summit with the trig
point is usually referred to as Leven Seat – 2 words – whereas the general area and
other features such as Levenseat Quarry are referred to as Levenseat – 1 word. The
two word rendering is probably the older.
Levenseat – History
The Levenseat area has been the subject of extensive mineral extraction since at least
the early nineteenth century. Minerals extracted have included ironstone, limestone,
fireclay, and sandstone and signs of all of these activities are apparent in the landscape
today.

DSC06385-800.jpg
A short walk past the landfill site and numerous sheep (Not a good place to come with a dog!!) and a muddy wriggle takes you into the mine. There are two entrances into the mine and I found the wet one first. Sheep seem to use this as a place to come and die as there were loads of sheep skulls and bits of skeletons in the entrance way.

DSC06380-800.jpg

This looks like it was a room and pillar mine, although ceiling falls and debris have obscured some of the passageways and features. You can get about upright most of the time but there are a few sections you have to crawl through.
DSC06388-800.jpg

There were large numbers of stalactites and a few stalagmites on my first visit but a lot of these had disappeared a few months later.
DSC06391-800.jpg

DSC06386-800.jpg

DSC06392-800.jpg

The mine is generally free of graffiti, rubbish and dead sheep once you get away from the two entrances.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Now there use to be FAQ's as to how to upload photos from Flickr and Photobucket, not sure what happened to them on the new 28DL site?

yellowdog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I,ve ended up cheating again but I will get to grips with Flikr next time, hopefull this is better than blank boxes!!

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Looking better now, think you need some help with your report writing though as you obviously aren't a natural ;)

Good effort persevering :thumb