real time web analytics
Report - - Leybourne Grange, kent, November, 2010 R.I.P | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Leybourne Grange, kent, November, 2010 R.I.P

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

kent-urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

Leybourne Grange opened in 1936 and it once covered an extensive 270 acres and was once home to 1200 patients with various degrees of mental disability. Patients lived in a total of 27 villas which split them into male, female and children. Leybourne Grange was designed to be completely self sufficient with its own farm, industrial laundry huge boiler house with enormous water tanks, a kitchen garden and workshops. There were houses for married staff and a large nurses block too. In 1992 Leybourne Grange began to implement closure with patients gradually leaving until total closure in 1996.

Most of Leybourne grange has now been demolished apart from the manor house which will be turned into 21 apartments and the clock tower. The massive nurse’s home is almost gone with all of the roofs striped off the wards. Scaffolding has been erected around the manor house with a temporary roof over the top to protect from the weather and so that the restoration work can start.
People are now living in some of the houses which have been built by Taylor taylor whimpey and the new housing estate is called Birling Grange. A new access round has been built from the A20 london road. 702 new properties will be built on the site, All of the homes will meet the EcoHomes Excellent standard and 176 will be available for affordable rent or shared ownership, giving more people the opportunity to become homeowners.

front of the nurses home :eek:
02.jpg

Inside
07.jpg

1 of the wards
11.jpg

There are still lots of record and books left here
20.jpg

The manor house with a temporary roof and scaffolding around it. There is also hoarding around the outside to help prevent vandalism. :thumb

22.jpg

Roof of the manor house
24.jpg

The clock tower
27.jpg

Inside the clock tower acrows are holding up the building
31.jpg

The clock workings
33.jpg

The manor house
34.jpg

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
My god, that came down fast. Did't even know there were demo plans. Saw pictures of this from a couple of weekd back and it looked no different other than the manor house being maintained. Thanks for posting mate :thumb

MonkeyDan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They're not doing too good a job on protecting the manor tbh - Lots of the ornate brick work outside has been broken off - and inside it's flooding and collapsing all over the place.

We went up into the loftspace a few weels ago and were tempted to get out on the roof but the weather was awful - RIP Leybourne!

professor frink

Reppin Bumbaclaat
28DL Full Member
Shame it's gone, it was a good explore back in the day.

Glad to see the Mansion House and clock tower are still do-able. :thumb

paulk

Miserable cnut
28DL Member
My god, that came down fast. Did't even know there were demo plans. Saw pictures of this from a couple of weekd back and it looked no different other than the manor house being maintained. Thanks for posting mate :thumb

They started demolishing it 2 years ago when Stealth and myself got Gurkha ambushed

Last edited:

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
They started demolishing it 2 years ago when Stealth and myself got Gurkha ambushed

Well it has sat untouched for well over a year now and then suddenly they pull it down. To be honest there was nothing they could do with the place though, it was a mess.

paulk

Miserable cnut
28DL Member
Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details