real time web analytics
Report - - Lion Mill. Soham, Cambridgeshie - 16/03/07 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lion Mill. Soham, Cambridgeshie - 16/03/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

cavewheel

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
hi all

Firstly please be gentle with me this is my first real report/post.

Been for a little walk, this afternoon, as I live 200 yards from this place, been trying to get to have a look for a few weeks, but none of my mates have been free, so went off on my own :thumb :D

The site seems to be deserted, entry is not very obvious , so I think it best if people PM for details , and I may come with you, or at least you can call in for coffee :)

I am not sure how much longer it will be there for, as some work has been done to clear the rough grounds, but no signs of activity other than heaps of cleared under growth.

The site is very big, what you can see from the front is only about 1/4 of it, and was not able to explore that section as flooded (yes I have waded in stuff before but not on my own with no light)

I must admit it is the first time doing a reacky on my own, several heart stopping moments, birds flying at you (feathered ones :D ), and dogs barking in the nearby gardens and factories, found my self freezing more than once.

here are some of the better photos below:- the full unedit lot are at Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos

View of front building, the lower floor is flooded, blue sign on fence is about housing development, not there the other week when I went by.
IMG_0036.jpg

View of flood area in front building (will return for this bit later :) )
IMG_0083.jpg

View between the two sets of grain silos (could not get any of them open :( )
IMG_0045.jpg

back of site, the power is on as one of the lights is working
IMG_0052.jpg

At the back of the site are some big warehouses, the ones that where open seem to be mostly empty
IMG_0055.jpg

view inside one of the back warehouses
IMG_0051.jpg

another warehouse, next to light that is on
IMG_0050.jpg

this is the main building I explored today
IMG_0046.jpg

what follows are shots of the different floors of the building above
IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

Watch out for holes in the floor!!!!! there are a lot of them all over the place!!!!
IMG_0070.jpg

The birds, that scared the S**t out of me, and their roosting area
IMG_0074.jpg

could not resist taking pic of this :)
IMG_0077.jpg

a lot more to explore :thumb

Cheers
Cavewheel

Last edited:

cavewheel

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Lion Mill. Soham, Cambridgeshie - REPORT - 16/03/07

hi all

Went back this afternoon with 3 mates (ubdvcv, theduck, and another to sign up yet) for a further look around, got to the top of the front towers, the view across Soham and the fens where outstanding, we could see Ely cathedral in the distance.

Bumped into some guy in a yellow fluorescent demolition jacket (you could of said "HI" instead of disappearing :D curiosity wants to know who you where)

The front section has more of the grain machinery still intact.

all the photos taken are at (some repeats as some taken by ubdvcv ) Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos

a couple of shots to wet your appetite :)

View from the top of the front main tower
IMG_0106.jpg

Some of the Machinery (he walked out as I took the shot)
IMG_0094.jpg

more Machinery
IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Cheers
Cavewheel

Last edited:
Y

yarkshire

Re: Lion Mill. Soham, Cambridgeshie - REPORT - 16/03/07

And another one... (long time listener, first time caller :)) Turned into quite a big outing! I looked out over the silos but based on how rickety one of the other catwalks was between the two mill buildings I thought better of it. Took quite a few photos - just posted a few that aren't identical to the others.

Need to go find somewhere else local to go for looksie round now!

DPP_0083.jpg

DPP_0080.jpg

DPP_0078.jpg

DPP_0054.jpg

DPP_0050.jpg

DPP_0043.jpg

DPP_0016.jpg

DPP_0037.jpg