real time web analytics
Report - - Lister drive / Andrew Carnegie library Liverpool April 2017 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lister drive / Andrew Carnegie library Liverpool April 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lavino

28DL Full Member
visited one evening with @Dangle_Angle after receiving a phone call if I want to take a look. And not being to far away we met a hour later at the library.this once would have been such a grand place it still holds a lot a character but sadly this is all being stripped back to bare brick as you can see in the photos. So there looks to be work ongoing. Would have loved to have seen it in its heyday with all the fancy plaster ceilings.heres some history and photos.
History

West Derby Library (known locally as Lister Drive Library) was established with funding from an Andrew Carnegie (Philanthropist and Industrialist) grant, and opened in 1905. The Library is a one-storey brick built structure with stone dressings, a slate roof and an octagonal turret and was designed by Thomas Shelmerdine. The Library originally contained a lending library and a number of reading rooms. Sadly, following health and safety concerns, the library closed in 2006 and has remained vacant since. This period of un-occupation has resulted in the library being subject to theft, vandalism and neglect.

In the spirit of Hidden Liverpool I am pleased to share the following exciting news..........

The ‘Lister Steps Carnegie Community Hub’ project (funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund) is currently in its development stage, however once completed Lister Steps aim to relocate their existing childcare services into the building. The completed Library will also serve as a centre for community engagement, a ‘hub’ offering refreshments, activities and training opportunities for the local community and visitors.

The project will shortly begin a period of consultation with stakeholders and members of the community. The project aims to host a number of heritage activities in the near future such as tours of the Library and an oral history project.

IMG_3355_zpsxuofmz14.jpg

IMG_3356_zpschsxq1jm.jpg

IMG_3358_zps2jftgaoe.jpg

IMG_3360_zpshr5atsaq.jpg

View attachment 726726

IMG_3357_zpssrznqvvo.jpg

IMG_3365_zpsdf2nw61n.jpg

IMG_3363_zpsa0znsqx8.jpg

IMG_3367_zpsmy5pfllt.jpg

IMG_3370_zpsjnmkd36c.jpg

IMG_3369_zpst4z03ill.jpg

IMG_3372_zpsyoomj5ul.jpg

IMG_3373_zpshzjm89he.jpg

IMG_3374_zpsntw1ghtr.jpg

IMG_3376_zpsmc5kmgct.jpg

IMG_3379_zpshgcvqsbl.jpg

IMG_3380_zpsrejfwzrb.jpg

IMG_3378_zpsc2qn5wbx.jpg

IMG_3383_zpsp921nkip.jpg

IMG_3381_zpstlkiq7nz.jpg

IMG_3382_zpsaoha7lgx.jpg

IMG_3385_zpstpz0ymqz.jpg

IMG_3387_zpsipiaabju.jpg

IMG_3386_zpsgzqxmye3.jpg

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
lovely building and an impressive drain box on the front facade.

skgogosfan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well done for getting in here! I love 3 and 4 which show it surrounded with greenery,and the ones of the empty dusty shelves. I hope all that lovely wood panelling stays!

IMG_3380_zpsrejfwzrb.jpg

In this one,has the foundation plaque been removed or is it still there? I can't make it out clearly.

Dave.

L

little_ boy_explores

wow it really reminds me of the abandon library in dewsbury