Web
Analytics
Report - - Little Burdon, entire village - Aug 17 - Teesside | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Little Burdon, entire village - Aug 17 - Teesside

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
Little Burdon is a cute little abandoned village / Hamlet off the side of the A66 dual carridgeway, being derelict since 1995 (22 years!) it has aged quite strongly, however still a lovely site with a very interesting and confusing past, quite large too!

The history
The origin of the site is unclear. Little Burdon is first mentioned in 1183 with records of tithes being taken between the 13th and 16th century by Neasham Priory. However there are also records of the land being passed by Durham council (the county at the time) to the Burdon family in 1337 where they were allowed to build the start of their little empire, spreading over the county of Durham - Little Burdon, Great Burdon, Old Burdon and Burdon Town - judging from the brick and mortar work in the settlement and farmland, I believe what we see today was constructed sometime around the 18th century.
The latest two residents of the site were brothers, Harry and Gordon Barron, who were prize horse breeders. Unfortunately they were robbed at knifepoint in 1995, with their homes ransacked the brothers left and never returned, a sad end to the legacy of a once lively little village.
The site sold in 2013 for £175,000 but as it is a grade II listed site, the owners cant develop on it properly unless it falls to the ground, so im sure the vandalism is welcome.

Our explore
After missing the very discreet turn off of the A66 we had to drive a 10 minute circle around durham to get back to it, not once, but twice :D. When we actually got there, we were greeted by some very welcoming 'DANGER' and 'KEEP OUT' signs and cctv warnings, although there were no cctv, there definately was a danger, setting foot inside any of the buildings put you at risk of falling debris, with many of the first floors entirely collapsed, going upstairs (if the stairs were still there) was a hefty bet on chance. The site itself is almost all in ruins and is heavily overgrown, thankfully not with brambles and nettles. It was interesting to see how 22 years of neglect had effected the houses and various buildings on the site.

The pictures
1. The welcome signs
5BhZViN.jpg

2. Inside the first building
ICrTl9t.jpg

3. Remainders of a staircase
IIPwIvX.jpg

mfuU7SF.jpg

iwAEU9h.jpg

6. Something the metal faries left behind
9OLxzfC.jpg

QzcLcw5.jpg

8. Smoglands own banksy
6vLWlvf.jpg

NLUe0sV.jpg

10. Everybody loves a good fireplace
YydNheB.jpg

NZ4hYxm.jpg

12. Lovely wide angle shot of the site
Z1oOKsd.jpg

sOGxTj0.jpg

CIIERl0.jpg

3eFZCiT.jpg

uANHjgq.jpg

17. Farmhouse funk!
q8GaFSW.jpg

18. Many of the buildings had no ceiling
AS3jUzc.jpg

rPthTTz.jpg

20. This red doorway really stood out
FCKn0aM.jpg

21. Best preserved part of the site
OvK3nss.jpg

UF2dsRk.jpg

Album link incase the pictures are broken:
https://imgur.com/a/VvKAI

There were alot more to see than what I photographed, a few larger buildings down the road were possibly part of the site, I Just believed these pictures do the place justice. If you have the chance to, make sure to take a trip down to this village, its truly wonderful, i could only imagine the stories that happened here throughout its life.

That concludes my report, constructive criticism appreciated :thumb

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Love that shadow boy with bird on wall, and other graffiti looked really well done. Love stables, and external shots. Nice find. Especially well done for stopping your holiday to do it lol .

dave

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good effort i first went here about 6 or 7 years ago when it was still pretty much intact very sad to see how it has gone downhill since then. Just one slight criticism since when has Teesside just had one 'S' in the spelling to my knowledge it was always spelt with 2. I know as i remember well when it was first named Teesside it helps as i come from there.

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
Good effort i first went here about 6 or 7 years ago when it was still pretty much intact very sad to see how it has gone downhill since then. Just one slight criticism since when has Teesside just had one 'S' in the spelling to my knowledge it was always spelt with 2. I know as i remember well when it was first named Teesside it helps as i come from there.
Alright haha, that spelling misstake could have been covered in a single sentence. 'Its spelt teesside not teeside' is all that was needed, I did see your report and it was a shame and how downhill the place has gone, there is no longer any of the cars or piano or even any glass left.

dave

28DL Regular User
Regular User
there is no longer any of the cars or piano or even any glass left.
Yes your right its been well and truly trashed i went for a wander earlier in the year and seen them signs warning about cctv etc but didnt spot any cameras.

Krypton

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The CCTV signs are there to try and discourage fly tipping. I drive past this All the time and never knew this was actually a village, just presumed it was just an old farm

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
The CCTV signs are there to try and discourage fly tipping. I drive past this All the time and never knew this was actually a village, just presumed it was just an old farm
Give it a go mate, its surprisingly beautiful, try check out the three larger buildings a bit before it too, i didnt get a chance

demble

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Theres definitely something going on though, I was there a couple of months back and it seems like things are being further smashed/demolished by the day, cant all be kids or weather doing it.

Saying that, the farmhouse itself is pretty solid, at least the floors seem to be. The outbuildings are a bit hairy, so anyone showing up for a look be careful on windy days as the roof is hanging down in a couple of places.

I was looking for the old car/truck and piano too, shame its all been cleared out. There was an old caravan with someone living in there acting as security a while back when it was bought to renovate, however when i was up there I think it had gone, either that or it was as derelict and windowless as the main house!

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
It is a shame about the state its in, looking back at reports on the place from 2012 its as if looking at an entirely different site. 22 years derelict, not long till the whole thing collapses i reckon

Screw Loose

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Went for a nosey yesterday with Mr Moustache and got stopped by the elderly site owners. They told us that they are there every other day repairing the damaged caused by vandals, they have been trying to revamp the site for the last three years but everytime they make progress somebody comes and damages it, also said that the police have only just started doing patrols of the area. Seemed like genuine nice people however they didn't offer us a mooch about which is a shame. However be warned, if there's a black Mercedes outside its the landowners! It goes up for sale on Wednesday though apparently! Shame as looks like a good explore, one for another day maybe.

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
I think that all they said was a lie, every part of that aite way long decayed wih nothing wven closely new and all the grass being knee high, they already sold the site long ago and they cant revamp the site as its a grade 2 listing, meaning they would have to rebuild everything exactly the same way as it was, seems a bit dodgyto me