real time web analytics
Report - - Littlebrook 'D' - June 2018 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Littlebrook 'D' - June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Littlebrook ‘D’ Power Station was the last of the four power stations to be built on the bank of the Thames, near Dartford. The first building, ‘A’ station was completed in 1939, followed by the ‘B’ and ‘C’ stations. These were all originally built to run on coal but later converted to be oil-fired. Littlebrook ‘D’ station was commissioned in 1981 and was contained 3 turbines, each capable of producing 660 MW, with each turbine output greater then in the previous stations combined. Littlebrook "opted-out" of the Large Combustion Plant Directive and therefore was forced to close in 2015. The site is currently being demolished to make way for a distribution centre.

The Explore

It was five months since my first power station at Fawley, in February, which had been a great explore though demolition had already begun a few months earlier. Unfortunately, it would be a few months before I tackled another power station due to my A-level exams coming in just as I was beginning to travel further, once I learned how cheap coaches are. I intended to have a go at Rugeley, followed by Ironbridge, but following a bad experience to getting caught at Rugeley, as security were about to let their six German Shepheard’s free for the night, I didn’t really feel like trying Ironbridge.

Fast-forward a month and I had finished my exams and had a few weeks free before I started work and so decided to try Littlebrook as I’d seen that demolition had begun on the earlier stations. While researching Littlebrook on the morning of my visit, I was sad to discover the ‘A’ station had been blown up earlier that week. However, I was hopeful that Brown and Mason would be concentrating their efforts on the earlier stations, before tackling the much larger ‘D’ station. I was also confident I would be able to do much better than my attempt at Rugeley, as I knew demolition was underway which would increase the chance of finding a way in.

When I arrived I noticed a van right by my planned access point, so I decided to search for another place.

After a quick run, I arrived at the building and found a way in. Climbing up the stairs and entering the turbine hall, from what I could just make out in the darkness, it appeared this power station was intact. The interior was frustratingly dark, in complete comparison to Fawley, with only two thin slits of light, lighting the whole building. The ground level of the turbine hall and boiler house were in complete darkness and so I decided against going to the top of the boiler house which I now regret. I also missed out on the control room and gas turbines.
DBD_0291 2.jpg

The approach

DBD_0296 2.jpg

DBD_0298 2.jpg

Its still there!- unit 1 turbine

DBD_0303 2.jpg

Finally starting to get a bit lighter

DBD_0312 2.jpg

Looking down on unit 2

DBD_0319 2.jpg

Ground level, showing unit 3's turbine rotors

DBD_0321 2.jpg

DBD_0329 2.jpg

Painful lighting conditions

DBD_0336 2.jpg

DBD_0337 2.jpg

The site of unit 3, mothballed before closure and removed around 2015

DBD_0341 2.jpg

DBD_0347 2.jpg

Looking the full length of the turbine hall

DBD_0370 2.jpg

DBD_0373 2.jpg

DBD_0383 2.jpg

Taking it all in

DBD_0386 2.jpg

DBD_0394 2.jpg

DBD_0398 2.jpg

DBD_0400 2.jpg

DBD_0405 2.jpg

DBD_0410 2.jpg

The condensers, below the turbines

DBD_0413 2.jpg

DBD_0417 2.jpg

DBD_0439 2.jpg

DBD_0445 2.jpg

DBD_0448 2.jpg

DBD_0468 2.jpg

The last remains of the 'A' station

DBD_0474 2.jpg

The demolished turbine hall of 'A' station

DBD_0491 2.jpg

I revisited the building nearly a month ago and a huge hole has been smashed through the wall of the turbine hall to light the interior for demolition. At the time of my visit unit 1 turbine was well into destruction, though unit 2 was still complete. Looking at the speed the buildings are being razed, I imagine this will be the next power station to be completely flattened, with Fawley likely to last a bit longer.

DBD_4682 2.jpg

It’s definitely still worth visiting but you need to be quick!

Thanks for looking

Last edited by a moderator:

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sweet! I had a day here recently. The hole in the wall lets in some nice light early in the morning and later just before the sun sets. Great work!