real time web analytics
Report - - Liverpool Victoria/Waterloo Tunnels - July 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Liverpool Victoria/Waterloo Tunnels - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dangle_Angle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Did this spur of the moment with my daughter. Had a real good mooch and was put to shame regards access by my 13 year old....haha
Light painting was a bit tricky at first but started to get the hang of it as the 'splore progressed.

A bit of history....

The Victoria Tunnel in Liverpool, England is a 2,706 yd (2,474 m) long rail tunnel. Opened in 1849, its eastern portal is adjacent to Edge Hill station. The western portal opens into a short (69 yd or 63 m) cutting, between Byrom Street and Fontenoy Street, the shorter Waterloo Tunnel exits the cutting terminating at Waterloo Dock. The Victoria and Waterloo tunnels are effectively one long tunnel connected by a ventilation cutting. The whole length is generally known as the Waterloo Tunnel.

After 46 years of use, the wire rope broke on 16 February 1895. It was decided to abandon the old rope system as locomotives were now much more powerful to climb the whole tunnel incline without assistance. On 12 June 1895 passenger trains were introduced into the tunnel serving the now-demolished Riverside passenger liner terminal station at the Pier Head.

The Victoria Tunnel was considered as an addition to Merseyrail in 1975, to link the city centre from Liverpool Central underground station to the east of Liverpool. However, the tunnel was rejected in favour of the Wapping Tunnel. Spur works were built to enable a tunnelled connection to the Wapping Tunnel at Central station. However these short tunnels can be used to create tunnel links to either of the tunnels in the future. Budget cuts prevented further work.[2]

In May 2007 it was reported that Merseytravel Chief Executive Neil Scales had prepared a report outlining the possibilities for reuse of the Wapping tunnel and Victoria tunnel with the latter to aid in redeveloping the north shore area of Liverpool. The western portal emerges near to the site of the proposed Liverpool Waters docklands redevelopment scheme.[3] Merseytravel safeguard the tunnel for future use.

SOME PICTURES FOR YOU ALL......;)

The infamous plastic piggy
P7184910.JPG

Entrance from Stanley dock end..
P7184911.JPG

Looking towards docks from Waterloo tunnel
P7184927.JPG

Collapsed oil lantern....just a little bit of rust :wanker
P7184935.JPG

Byrom st cutting from Victoria Tunnel
P7184949.JPG

P7184942.JPG

Victoria tunnel towards Edge Hill
P7184951.JPG

Victoria tunnel once again..
P7184955.JPG

All in all...a great little visit. I recommend to anyone. Really challenging with the lack of light but a great learning curve and pretty easy access (if you're 13 haha)...

Cheers all.

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Looks a good tunnel.
What torch are you using. Using a long exposure and half decent shot should light this baby up.
I like the 'Switch' sign shot :thumb

Dangle_Angle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks a good tunnel.
What torch are you using. Using a long exposure and half decent shot should light this baby up.
I like the 'Switch' sign shot :thumb
Funnily enough its a 99p led torch from home bargains!! hahaha....we used headtorches at different directions also
15 second shutter speed and 400 ISO
Was my first time light painting so wasnt expecting much tbh....

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks for sharing this mate, Is this a link from the original central station (quiggins) or the eixsting Central station today, I dont know which, but if they have reserved use of the tunnel, it would be cool to see quiggins come back on line if that is possible.

Dangle_Angle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for sharing this mate, Is this a link from the original central station (quiggins) or the eixsting Central station today, I dont know which, but if they have reserved use of the tunnel, it would be cool to see quiggins come back on line if that is possible.
Hi mate,
Don't know the quiggins stuff, this is from the Stanley end of town to edge hill via Byrom street cutting.
What's the quiggins quote about?

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Hi mate,
Don't know the quiggins stuff, this is from the Stanley end of town to edge hill via Byrom street cutting.
What's the quiggins quote about?
Quiggins was the Cities original Central station ( I may be wrong) frequently am :) but is now a lovely old building full of goth type shops in Renshaw St.

Dangle_Angle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Quiggins was the Cities original Central station ( I may be wrong) frequently am :) but is now a lovely old building full of goth type shops in Renshaw St.
Oh yes!!! Fuck me! I was in there the other Saturday...looks very stationy now I think of it..
But no, this is on the other side of town. Entrance in a car park in the road with the liverpool Mercedes dealership at one end.
Get in there and have a go mate ;)

Gerard

Professional procrastinator, climber and geek.
28DL Full Member
Oh yes!!! Fuck me! I was in there the other Saturday...looks very stationy now I think of it..
But no, this is on the other side of town. Entrance in ****Location omitted from quote***.
Get in there and have a go mate ;)

Nice report and liking the pictures but It might be prudent to delete the message quoted disclosing the entrance location, police and transport authorities check out this site and disclosure of the entrance will just run the risk of tightened security measures and make future exploration more difficult.

Dangle_Angle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report and liking the pictures but It might be prudent to delete the message quoted disclosing the entrance location, police and transport authorities check out this site and disclosure of the entrance will just run the risk of tightened security measures and make future exploration more difficult.
Thanks mate but it's just an open site. Go check it out