Web
Analytics
Report - - Llanbedr Hall - Ruthin, North Wales - February 22 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Llanbedr Hall - Ruthin, North Wales - February 22


MK83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History - The earliest records we can find of the hall date back to around 1630 when it was owned by John Thelwall. It stayed in the Thelwall family until 1811 when it was sold to Rev. Roger Clough, he then sold it to Joseph Ablett in 1831. Joseph Ablett was a justice of the peace and high sheriff of Denbighshire. In 1842 he donated 20 acres of land for the establishemnt of the North Wales asylum also known as Denbigh asylum. Ablett died without children and the hall passed to his relatives the Jesse family. The hall was badly damaged by fire in 1865 and was largely rebuilt by the Jesse family. Upon the death of John Halifax Jesse in 1911 the estate was sold and the hall became a Tuberculosis sanatorium, the sanatorium was taken over by Hugh Morriston Davies in 1918 and achieved worldwide fame in the treatment thoracic diseases, it eventually closed in 1953. The Hall then seems to have been empty for a number of years before being bought by an entrepreneur from Liverpool who turned it into a hotel restaurant and apartments. We can't find any records of when the hotel closed but judging by the decor it has been closed for quite a few years. The current owner has permission to demolish the hall and plans to build houses but it looks like he has struggled to get planning permission for the houses due to complaints from local residents. There is also the ruins of a medieval chapel called St Peters in the grounds of the hall which appears to have served as the local church for the area until the Jesse family commissioned a new church in the village. From what we can find online the chapel seems to date back to around the mid 1300's in its earliest form.

Explore - The hall is on private land and is very overlooked by houses, it looks like the houses used to be part of the estate, possibly stables etc. The access is pretty straightforward. It's been stripped out quite a bit but the architecture is cool and there's plenty of decay. It's in a sorry state and the floors are soaking and very sketchy in places. The chapel is very photogenic and is accessible to the public.

Sketch of the hall and gardens from 1744 prior to being re-built.
934869


The hall in 1936 when it was a Sanatorium.
934870


Unsure of the date of this but it shows the restaurant when the hall was a hotel.
934871


As it is now.
934872


934873


934874


934875


934876


934877


934878


934879


934880


934881


934882


934883


934884


934885


934886


934887


934888


934889


934890


The chapel.
934891


934892


934893


934894


Thanks for looking.
 

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's a lovely old hall mate with some really nice decay in it.
 

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Some nice features around. Those tiles are in great condition. Surprised to see curtains still hanging, usually get ripped down, always wondered why lol. love photos :thumb
 

MK83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some nice features around. Those tiles are in great condition. Surprised to see curtains still hanging, usually get ripped down, always wondered why lol. love photos :thumb
Thanks, It's surprisingly un-vandalised. Most of the damage is natural decay by the looks of it.
 

Similar threads


Top