real time web analytics
Report - - Llanberis Bomb Store - Dec 2020 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Llanberis Bomb Store - Dec 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dragon1234

28DL Member
28DL Member
First post! I grew up around derelict military sites so it's fitting that my first report is a dive into Llanberis Bomb Store.

History
This was an old RAF facility built in 1939 in the location of a disused slate quarry. Its purpose was to store 18,000 tonnes of bombs underground, following a similar design employed at Harpur Hill (which interestingly got used later as a mushroom farm). The store is made up of two floors with a small stairwell and three lifts, and each floor is made up of very long halls, connected with sets of arched doorways. The upper halls have very tall arched ceilings whereas the downstairs halls have rectangular construction. A railway runs through the lower level to outside to carry bombs. Originally, the entire complexion would have been completely buried, however in 1942, two-thirds of the structure collapsed as backfill covered it. This collapse engulfed more than 14,000 tonnes of bombs, 14% of the RAF's stock at the time. The collapsed area was cleared out and the bombs recovered.

1612300911162.png

This map shows the current layout of the bomb store.

Pictures!
outside.jpg

Outside of the store (view looking inwards to the collapsed area standing at the bottom end of the map)
looking outside.jpg

On the left, you can see where the railway ran.

downstairs arches.jpg

Lots of graffiti downstairs.

lift_far.jpg

lift.jpg

One of the lifts! Very cool mechanisms.
upstairs room.jpg

Upstairs; these halls are incredibly long.
archways.jpg

Archways run perpendicular to the long halls.
arches.jpg

Brick edge arches.
bootprints above the stairs.jpg

Everyone seems to leave their bootprint on this wall at the top of the stairs.
shadow.jpg

fuck.jpg

Loved this place. Darker than a dark place in dark-town in dark-shire inside. Jumped at my own footsteps.

I intend to drag my photographer mother back here for better photos. Next time I want to crawl through the hole into the tunnel at the top of the map.

- Cathode
First post! I grew up around derelict military sites so it's fitting that my first report is a dive into Llanberis Bomb Store.

History
This was an old RAF facility built in 1939 in the location of a disused slate quarry. Its purpose was to store 18,000 tonnes of bombs underground, following a similar design employed at Harpur Hill (which interestingly got used later as a mushroom farm). The store is made up of two floors with a small stairwell and three lifts, and each floor is made up of very long halls, connected with sets of arched doorways. The upper halls have very tall arched ceilings whereas the downstairs halls have rectangular construction. A railway runs through the lower level to outside to carry bombs. Originally, the entire complexion would have been completely buried, however in 1942, two-thirds of the structure collapsed as backfill covered it. This collapse engulfed more than 14,000 tonnes of bombs, 14% of the RAF's stock at the time. The collapsed area was cleared out and the bombs recovered.

1612300911162.png

This map shows the current layout of the bomb store.

Pictures!

Outside of the store (view looking inwards to the collapsed area standing at the bottom end of the map)

On the left, you can see where the railway ran.

Lots of graffiti downstairs.

One of the lifts! Very cool mechanisms.

Upstairs; these halls are incredibly long.

Archways run perpendicular to the long halls.

Brick edge arches.

Everyone seems to leave their bootprint on this wall at the top of the stairs.

Loved this place. Darker than a dark place in dark-town in dark-shire inside. Jumped at my own footsteps.

I intend to drag my photographer mother back here for better photos. Next time I want to crawl through the hole into the tunnel at the top of the map.

- Cathode
Looks awesome. How do you get to it? Where do you park in order to walk there? Any help would be much appreciated.

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting! This bomb store is just one small part of a larger complex; it was linked to quarries, and apparently, there's still a lot of equipment still under the waters of the flooded quarries. Perhaps munitions deemed not worth moving.
There was also a Sub-Site Rhiwlas

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As I recall there are a couple of shonky bolts on the right hand side of the 2nd pit, but, they're shonky as feck plus you need 100+m of rope with no backup belay!!!

Melusinasdream73

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
WOW! I didn't know that was there when I visited Electric Mountain and we camped up on a farm on the Llanberis Pass back 20 years ago! I'm going to have to put this on my wishlist.... Nice one

WelshMurderer4735

28DL Member
28DL Member
If you try and get through the yellow door at the back of Bay D to the southern tunnel then good luck as the pallets and rope is now gone but once on the other side you do have some pallets on some corroded metal bars to get you back out, recommend that you use the rusty metal bars on top of the doors to use as grip and get legs through first, harder to get in then out

Who has read this thread (Total: 524) View details