real time web analytics
Report - - Llanberis Copper Mine, July 2020 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Llanberis Copper Mine, July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
History
Since of the size and how old it is, there isn't to much stuff on the web about this place as its small, old and a bugger to get to (i'll get to into that in abit) but here is some copper mining history in the area ive nicked from from @monk
Today the main copper mine remains can be found at Drws y Coed, Beddgelert and Cwm Pennant. The remains of a Roman fort near Beddgelert suggest that the Romans may well have mined for copper on the Sygun mine site nearby. During the 18th Century more than 70 men from the village and others from as far a field as Cornwall and Scotland were employed in the mine. The raw ore was taken to a nearby crushing mill before being transported by horse and cart to Beddgelert and Porthmadog and shipped to Swansea for refining. Much of the copper was used to line the wooden ships of the Royal navy during the Napoleonic Wars.

The Sygun mine was briefly used as a location for the 1958 film Inn of the 6th Happiness starring Ingrid Bergman. Today the mine is open to tourists with guided tours provided through the caverns with their magnificent stalactites and stalagmites.

Explore
Once you get below the the spoil heap you can just spot the entrance high above you, getting to it is easier said than done luckily we choose the best day for it! Beaming sun but not to warm but most importantly no rain :D Once the longer than it looks climb is over you reach a pretty standard entrance. Wellies and helmet on we headed in since im still a complete newbie at this underground stuff I didnt do the upper levels which required rope. All in all a small but nice place for a quick mouch.

And finally one of me :)

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate, you had a better day weather wise than when I went.
Certainly! Would hate to do the climb in the pissing rain, i was already scared enough of falling on the way down the rain would of made it 10x worse!
Also thanks for helping me with it's location before I went!

Fluffy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Gotta love North Wales!

We're heading up to the area next month for a bit of a holiday if anyone local fancies making up a group for a few explores.

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
Certainly! Would hate to do the climb in the pissing rain, i was already scared enough of falling on the way down the rain would of made it 10x worse!
Also thanks for helping me with it's location before I went!

Yeah it's not very pleasant

chills

Queller of the uprising
Nice to see the report after you said you were heading up that way! Good job, could only ask for more pictures! Can’t grumble at a mine!

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Nice to see the report after you said you were heading up that way! Good job, could only ask for more pictures! Can’t grumble at a mine!
Visited Ystrad the day before (in very different weather) so I'll put a report of that up at some point

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Yeah
Nice one........it’s a good little mooch.

When you can get a light for your bash hat then you have both hands free :thumb
Yeah that's my next thing I need to do, the torch isn't the best anyway but I can just put the loop around my wrist when I need to do abit of climbing like i did at Ystrad, anyway this is only the start of my new mine adventures looking to maybe do the NP Lancashire sandstone mine as it aint to far from me.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Great report. I wish I went to the copper mine, instead I went up the Gallt-Y-Lan slate mine next door. Feeling a bit adventurous as there was nothing online about it was literally a mountain of loose slate leading to a pit although there is supposedly a level at the top.

Who has read this thread (Total: 265) View details