real time web analytics
Report - - Llanddulas Limestone Quarry Works & P D Bricks, Wales - January 2018 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Llanddulas Limestone Quarry Works & P D Bricks, Wales - January 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pepperplant

Luigi
28DL Full Member
History (Stolen from Coflein)

Quarrying in Llanddulas was first recorded in 1696 although this was further to the east of what we now know as Llanddulas Quarry.
The stone was used primarily for building material both locally and further afield, including Liverpool. Stone to be transported by boat would be taken by horse and cart and loaded by hand into boats beached at low tide.

The first records of a jetty to serve Llanddulas Quarry date back to 1822 and it was connected by a rail track to the north east corner of the flooded quarry at the front of the site (now known as the silt lagoons).In 1839 as demand for building stone grew, quarrying progressed both inland and to the west and a new jetty was built in 1842 at the location now occupied by the present one.

The coastal railway line was laid in 1849 and a railway siding to serve the quarry was installed soon after.

In 1874 a lime kiln and crusher were built, the crusher being driven by steam. The water reservoir and stem boiler were located where the front entrance to the site is now. Also located here was the cable drum that was used to facilitate the movement of rail mounted tubs between the quarry and the jetty. This drum haulage system was simple but effective and enabled empty tubs to be pulled back up the steep incline by the energy created by loaded tubs attached to the cable loop descending the incline.

Although it is not known for certain when the drum haulage system was introduced its use lasted until 1947 when a new wooden jetty was built with conveyor belts to carry the limestone products from the quarry via the beach silo to the jetty for loading onto ships.

In the late 1950s and into the 1960s markets in the Scandinavian countries, Holland, Belgium and Germany were opened up and many millions of tonnes of limestone products for a variety of uses were exported. In the early 1980’s the A55 Expressway was built and at this time the jetty was extended by 100 feet to enable larger ships to berth.

Today
Went on a trip to wales with my girlfriend, We spent 4 days in the Llannefydd area and this was the second explore on the trip. It was an easy explore right next to a landfill, The jetty had gone but the actual quarry and the PD bricks buildings pretty much intact. It was really rainy so apologies if the pictures are a bit dark!

2018-01-21 13.36.50.jpg

2018-01-21 13.36.03.jpg

2018-01-21 13.36.07.jpg

2018-01-21 13.36.10.jpg

Looking towards PD Bricks
2018-01-21 13.39.42.jpg

Some buildings built into the cliff
2018-01-21 13.40.48.jpg

2018-01-21 13.46.46_1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

pepperplant

Luigi
28DL Full Member
I didn't venture into it as the water was all running down there and I was alone for a short while. It's easy enough to get down as that fence has had the barbed spikes bent down to create a short platform to stand on

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Anything to be seen underground?

There are a few tunnels here, one at the base of the quarry and the two further up that pepperplant photographed - I only managed to get into the one at the base of the quarry, the tall thin one would have required a muddy slide down a near vertical slope to get into which I didn't really fancy though, but looks very interesting. The one with the palisade across the front I think links into the landfill/quarry site next door.

34973632026_b2879e5912_b.jpg

34973630976_dec8d0b95c_b.jpg