real time web analytics
Report - - Lluesty Hospital, Holywell, November 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lluesty Hospital, Holywell, November 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lluesty Hospital, Holywell

IMG_29020.jpg

History

“Lluesty served the people of Holywell very well over the years, but we’ve got a brand new hospital now” (Mrs Saunders, former ward sister).

Lluesty Hospital, located approximately 1km from the town centre, was constructed between 1838 and 1840, by Thomas Hughes of Liverpool. It was designed by John Welch, the architect of St. Asaph and Surveyor to the Guardians, and was originally built as a workhouse for the Union of 14 parishes. The Poor Law Commission sanctioned the expenditure of approximately £6,200 to have the buildings erected, with the intention that it would house over 400 inmates. Originating from the Poor Law Act of 1388, workhouses in England and Wales offered those who were unable to support themselves accommodation and employment. The layout of Lluesty conformed to a standard workhouse grid plan; a cruciform or ‘square’ layout with separate accommodation wings and courtyards for both men and women. To the rear of the site, a central three-story range connected to the central supervisory hub which had several observation windows that gave a clear view over each of the inmates’ yards. A number of other buildings were constructed on the site from the 1860s through to 1902, including a chapel.

By 1948, Lluesty, and a number of other Public Assistance Institutions became part of the National Health Service. Subsequently, Lluesty became known as Lluesty General Hospital. Unfortunately, disaster struck in the 1960s when a fire swept through an entire ward, killing twenty one immobile patients. Although the hospital recovered from this tragedy, it eventually closed in 2008 when the nearby Holywell Community Hospital opened. After its closure it was rumoured that the entire site would be redeveloped into eight three bedroom town houses, twenty six apartments and twelve three bedroom terrace houses, but such plans never went ahead. Lluesty Hospital was later sold at an auction in London for approximately £275,000, and subsequent proposals estimated that seventy houses could be constructed on the 7.4 acre site. Once again, however, no redevelopment was ever initiated. The last assessment of the site was conducted sometime in 2013, by the Archaeological Building Recording Services, to decide whether any historic research would be carried out. While there were some significant findings, concerns were raised over the rapidly deteriorating state of Lluesty’s buildings owing to years of neglect and vandalism.

The Visit

I have been after seeing this place for some time, but it's never happened for one reason or another, but one wet weekend, there were no other plans, so off over the boarder I headed. On the way in, we saw Telf and some other people who were just leaving, their words to us were "I wouldn't bother, it's shit in there". I guess it all depends on what you class as shit really, or what you make of a place as I for one, found the place to be really interesting and a good few hours were spent in here.

[1] & [2]
IMG_29023.jpg
IMG_29035.jpg

[3]
IMG_29053.jpg

[4] & [5]
IMG_29056.jpg
IMG_29065.jpg

[6]
IMG_29074.jpg

[7]
IMG_29084.jpg

[8] & [9]
IMG_29111.jpg
IMG_29152.jpg

[10]
IMG_29137.jpg

[11] & [12]
IMG_29195.jpg
IMG_29199.jpg

[13]
IMG_29304.jpg

[14]
IMG_29319.jpg

[15]& [16]
IMG_29274.jpg
IMG_29293.jpg

Full Gallery HERE

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
On the way in, we saw Telf and some other people who were just leaving, their words to us were "I wouldn't bother, it's shit in there"

That was me :thumb nice to meet you....

Sorry pal, couldn't remember who else was there! I think we liked it a lot better than you guys :)

Trancentral

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
went here way back 2012 when the place was cool ..:cool: looks well trashed now :( Great pics tho mate ...

degenerate

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I like it, things like this are why I have to see things for myself rather than take someones word that a place is "shit" ;)

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Apologies for the (now) lack of pictures. My site has been hacked and been taken off line :(

It's going to take a while to get things back again, but feel free to visit my flickr page (link in signature) if you want to see the photos in the short term.