Web
Analytics
Report - - Lluesty Hospital, Holywell - October 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Lluesty Hospital, Holywell - October 2015

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
Regular User
#1
History

“Lluesty served the people of Holywell very well over the years, but we’ve got a brand new hospital now” (Mrs Saunders, former ward sister).

Lluesty Hospital, located approximately 1km from the town centre, was constructed between 1838 and 1840, by Thomas Hughes of Liverpool. It was designed by John Welch, the architect of St. Asaph and Surveyor to the Guardians, and was originally built as a workhouse for the Union of 14 parishes. The Poor Law Commission sanctioned the expenditure of approximately £6,200 to have the buildings erected, with the intention that it would house over 400 inmates. Originating from the Poor Law Act of 1388, workhouses in England and Wales offered those who were unable to support themselves accommodation and employment. The layout of Lluesty conformed to a standard workhouse grid plan; a cruciform or ‘square’ layout with separate accommodation wings and courtyards for both men and women. To the rear of the site, a central three-story range connected to the central supervisory hub which had several observation windows that gave a clear view over each of the inmates’ yards. A number of other buildings were constructed on the site from the 1860s through to 1902, including a chapel.

Traditionally, any life inside a workhouse was harsh, and inmates would be employed on non-skilled tasks, such as breaking stones, crushing bones for fertilizer or picking oakum using a large metal nail. However, by 1930 these buildings were abolished by law, and the old workhouses became refuges for the elderly and sick. A year earlier, in 1929, legislation was passed which allowed local authorities to take over these sites, to convert them into municipal hospitals; so, after 1930, many of the former workhouses, including Lluesty, began to serve the public in a much different way.

By 1948, Lluesty, and a number of other Public Assistance Institutions became part of the National Health Service. Subsequently, Lluesty became known as Lluesty General Hospital. Unfortunately, disaster struck in the 1960s when a fire swept through an entire ward, killing twenty one immobile patients. Although the hospital recovered from this tragedy, it eventually closed in 2008 when the nearby Holywell Community Hospital opened. After its closure it was rumoured that the entire site would be redeveloped into eight three bedroom town houses, twenty six apartments and twelve three bedroom terrace houses, but such plans never went ahead. Lluesty Hospital was later sold at an auction in London for approximately £275,000, and subsequent proposals estimated that seventy houses could be constructed on the 7.4 acre site. Once again, however, no redevelopment was ever initiated. The last assessment of the site was conducted sometime in 2013, by the Archaeological Building Recording Services, to decide whether any historic research would be carried out. While there were some significant findings, concerns were raised over the rapidly deteriorating state of Lluesty’s buildings owing to years of neglect and vandalism.

Our Version of Events

Lluesty was the last explore of our trip. We had intended to have a crack at it the previous day, but since we’d manged to burn through most of our daylight hours in Cornist Hall, we decided to leave the hospital until morning. After a half-decent night’s sleep overlooking the River Dee, and a quick shit stop at the local coffee spot, we headed there straight away. By now an extreme case of CBA-ness was setting in amongst the group, so we had to act quickly before all motivation disappeared entirely. Access onto the grounds was disappointingly easy, and that instantly lowered the general mood even further, so a couple of us decided to convince the others that the only way inside the main building to the left was via an old lift shaft. Everyone queued quite orderly, in a traditionally British fashion, waiting their turn to enter the lift and climb through a small hatch on the roof. One by one we all scrambled up, enjoying our new imaginative entry-point that looked a lot less like an open door.

Ten minutes or so later, with everyone feeling a little more awake and satisfied about the explore, and life in general, we set off to wander around Lluesty Hospital. For the most part, the buildings are entirely stripped, and there’s not an awful lot to see, but there was still something about it – perhaps its extensive history – that kept our interest. Some of the more notable parts of the site perhaps include the old chapel, the original workhouse buildings, the vegetable preparation area and the ‘no admittance room’ that looked a bit like food storage area crossed with a morgue.

We spend a couple of hours having a good look around the site, until we ran out of interesting things to look at. After that we decided to call it a day and get back to the safety of northern England. After a few awesome days it was time to go home, especially since most of us had work the next day and we were still in Wales. The final leg of the journey was arduous and dull, and filled with failed explores and missed opportunities, but that’s the nature of this sort of thing I guess: you win some, you lose some.

Explored with Ford Mayhem, Meek-Kune-Do, The Hurricane, Box and Husky.

1: Lluesty Hospital

DSC_0329a_zpsw7m4vamg.jpg


2: The Lift Hatch

DSC_0344a_zpsbnlvhlv2.jpg


3: The Corridor of Doors

DSC_0345a_zpsbucgaixm.jpg


4: The General State of the Building

DSC_0347a_zps7ba0xqbe.jpg


5: Old Lamps

DSC_0354a_zpsd7rmbl6a.jpg


6: Former Ward with Curtain Rails in Situ

DSC_0366a_zpspttgocte.jpg


7: The Fire Exit

DSC_0367a_zps4uj52uws.jpg


8: Intact Toilets for a Change

DSC_0370a_zpstzojaoai.jpg


9: Peely Staircase

DSC_0380a_zpsqphjqcep.jpg


10: Urine Sample Case

DSC_0383a_zpsg4fr8xtb.jpg


11: Ambulances Only

DSC_0402a_zpsy4wcpvlt.jpg


12: Corridor in one of the Newer Sections

DSC_0411a_zpsx77eztum.jpg


13: The 'No Admittance Room'

DSC_0421a_zpssoxwori4.jpg


14: Storage Space

DSC_0422a_zpsnxxbwkwc.jpg


15: Body Count

DSC_0425-2a_zps8kxhaq2n.jpg


16: Service Lift

DSC_0430a_zpsucim2arh.jpg


17: Getting Lost

DSC_0433a_zpsd6brdea6.jpg


18: The Vegetable Preparation Area

DSC_0438a_zpscpctr45j.jpg


19: Food Storage Space

DSC_0444a_zpshs5hoxyu.jpg


20: Outside - Trying to Find the Old Workhouse Buildings

DSC_0446a_zpsxzlpikid.jpg


21: The Workhouse Buildings

DSC_0448a_zps2v3xwou3.jpg


22: Staff or Doctors Room

DSC_0457a_zps0mae2uew.jpg


23: One of the Old Courtyards

DSC_0465a_zpsavjnuycz.jpg


24: The Main Reception Area

DSC_0468a_zpsfuobtuj7.jpg


25: Inside the Chapel

DSC_0472a_zps5iov9zwy.jpg


26: The Front of the Main Building

DSC_0475a_zpscdn6u4eb.jpg


27: Another Original Courtyard

DSC_0478a_zpsujlynfge.jpg


28: The Boiler House

DSC_0480a_zpsyqovmukx.jpg


29: Boiler Room

DSC_0481a_zpsnnd68lkl.jpg


30: Valve Closed

DSC_0489a_zpszriatmbk.jpg
 

BrainL

28DL Regular User
Regular User
#6
By far the best report I've seen of this place! Visited this place about 10 months ago and stumbled upon a group of guys cutting metal away from that boiler room :(