real time web analytics
Report - - LNWR Goods Depot Heaton Norris 11/04/10 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - LNWR Goods Depot Heaton Norris 11/04/10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
LNWR Heaton Norris or Wellington Road North Good's Depot is just outside Stockport visible from the main line, this explore started out with the sole intentions of only visiting the Engine house, knowing the mill is used for storage i thought that there would be nothing of interest in there how wrong i was, this was one of those explores right on my door step and every time i saw this place i thought there won't be anything in there so on one sunday i paid a little visit and did it pay off, it never ceases to amaze me what is right on our door steps. After entering the engine room and finding two engine's still in fantastic condition but the pigeons have done there best to poop on everything, this did not bother me at all, there are so many original features in there i could not believe my luck, thinking this could not get better i went to look in the Accumulator Tower only to find the water tank still there with the original pump and hoist,After this i needed a shot of the main mill so i popped round to front to ask at the storage office, unsure why i wanted to take shots of the mill, Blah Blah history he said well go up to floor three there are still some original feature's which included Hand operated Gravity hoist and a Hydraulic Jigger and much more so what started off as a quick explore has turned out to be one of my favorites this year..
History...
The LNWR building opened it's doors in 1882 primarily for the cotton trade to cater for the ever growing demand in stockport, to the SW of the mill is the engine house and Accumulator house this was used for hydraulic power.A head of water was raised at the top of the tower by means of pumps which can still be seen today, the mill closed for in july 1981 and has since been used for storage.
Accumulator Tower/Engine room
a-16.jpg

b-16.jpg
c-15.jpg

d-16.jpg

e-16.jpg
f-15.jpg

g-15.jpg

h-16.jpg
i-16.jpg

j-15.jpg

k-16.jpg