real time web analytics
Report - - Lob Lane Mill, Brierfield nr Burnley - 3/3/07 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lob Lane Mill, Brierfield nr Burnley - 3/3/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

D

Damon

Our final site of the day was Lob Lane Mill on the banks of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in Brierfield. Lob Lane Mill, known locally as Veveers Mill, was built in various stages between 1844 and 1879 as a steam powered weaving mill.

In recent years, the mill was home to a major employer in the area, Trojan Products, manufacturers of a wide variety of fibreglass products such as false cladding and dormers. Full size product samples and patterns still occupy a good amount of floor space. Trojan moved out in 2001 to relocate to Clayton le Moors and the mill remained empty. In 2004, planning permission was granted for the canal side buildings to be converted into apartments/penthouses, with the remaining areas being demolished for housing.

But that’s not all. Another company by the name of Glasdon Designs Ltd also occupied space in the mill. The Glasdon Group design and manufacture small modular buildings, such as shelters, temporary site buildings and kiosks (they designed the small one-manned London Transport Travel Information Kiosks). Because of the similarity in a lot of the products, it is possible that they worked in conjunction with Trojan at this site. A large amount of company paperwork, technical drawings and records remain. One file I looked through was the design schematics for an airlock for British Aerospace. The Glasdon Group is still going strong, however the Designs arm is no longer featured on the group websites.

The mill attracted local interest last October courtesy of some nasty orrible little scrotes smashing about 130 of the 270 windows on the canal side of the mill. Police patrols in the area were stepped up to keep the little sods away.

This was a cracking location, with some large empty spaces but also a helluva lot of stuff still in situ. Old school original workbenches with built in vices, original moulds for crests and coats of arms, tools and equipment. Oh, and did I mention the cellars with the vaulted ceiling and natural spring in the corner? Some good light painting to be had down here, but unfortunately my photography was abruptly cut short when my back-up batteries died, the rechargeables having run out of juice at the start of the day :rolleyes:

Found it really hard to choose which pics to post, cos there's just so much to fit in. So here we are then.....

Loading Bay from the canal

Awning.jpg

Explorette and Gibbo survey the trashed records room

Records2.jpg

And blimey there's a lot to go through

Records1.jpg

Airlock drawings

Plans.jpg

London Transport Kiosk designs

Kiosk.jpg

Workshop vice

Vice.jpg

Crest mould and casting

Crest1.jpg

Queen Mothers crest

Crest2.jpg

MaxLoad.jpg

Colour.jpg

Safe.jpg

R

romanian1

Re: Lob Lane Mill, Brierfield nr Burnley - 3/3/07 - REPORT

Some of mine.

DSCF1057.jpg

DSCF0970.jpg

DSCF1010.jpg

DSCF1016.jpg

DSCF1037.jpg

DSCF1067.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1070.jpg

Great explore, again, nice one explorette for arranging a good day out, some of the finds in that last place were just immense.

R

romanian1

looks like a good explore ... any pics of the exterior i love the scale of mills

Can do, not very good ones mind.

DSCF1091.jpg

All the stuff on the left hand side, you can see the older stone part, the later victorian addition and then the addition of the wokshops at two other points in time.

DSCF1045.jpg

R

romanian1

A few more pics.

DSCF1034.jpg

DSCF1050.jpg

DSCF1054.jpg

DSCF0965.jpg

DSCF0971.jpg

D

Damon

Went back today with Explorette, Pixielulu and Karl. I get the feeling I'll be visiting this place a lot, its very photogenic and has some nice dark areas for a bit of light painting, something I hope to be practicing.

British Aerospace file, and a few of the drawings....

Aerospace.jpg

Glasdon.jpg

The Canal-facing side of the mill. This bit is staying through the redevelopment.

Canalside.jpg

An old, old stylee workshop.

Workshop.jpg

Switch.jpg

Trim.jpg

Canvas.jpg

Media and the word "Scandal"? Surely not....

Mirror.jpg

My 28 Days Tribute :D

Chain.jpg

Group Shot

Group.jpg

And a few poncey ideas I had while I was there...

Filters.jpg

Painting1.jpg

Painting2.jpg