real time web analytics
Report - - Locomotive graveyard - Germany - Aug, 2020 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Locomotive graveyard - Germany - Aug, 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ForgottenBuildings

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:
Located somewhere in a large forest lays this big train yard, which is full of historic locomotives. The trains here date all the way back to the second world war, back then these locomotives were built to serve the heavy loads of the war. It wasn't always war material though, a small selection of these models were also used to transport jews to the camps in the east. After this rather dark past they were used by the communist DDR regime of East Germany for regular transport. The last one of this model was decommissioned at the end 0f the 80s, this was quite unique due that this was one of the last steam locomotive still active in Europe.

After they were decommissioned they were bought by a preservation organization, today they are rustig away and slowly being swallowed by nature it self.

50793475602_74afe88e13_k.jpg
Rusting beasts by ForgottenBuildings, on Flickr

50793475532_c11ad003c9_k.jpg
Steam locomotives by ForgottenBuildings, on Flickr

50793475692_2a5e866f4d_k.jpg
Industrial revolution by ForgottenBuildings, on Flickr

50792608753_a3291f95d8_k.jpg

50792608338_b7bdd5556f_k.jpg

50793475507_9e464e36e9_k.jpg

I also made a video were I went more in-depth into the history of this historic locomotive graveyard:

Thanks for reading and watching!

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Really interesting that certainly one place I would like to visit also I must admit !, crazy to think any one or more of them trains could of drove through here on my visit to aushwits/Berkinow interesting report thanks for sharing

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
nice find love your pictures would love to find something like this in the uk:D

As WesternSultan says, Woodham Bros in Barry had something like this.. even into the 80's it still had steam trains kicking around. Without Dai's decision to cut up rail wagons and profile first the preservation scene in the UK would be far worse off. Just a shame some of the few diesels that ended up there didn't make it out again.

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
History:
Located somewhere in a large forest lays this big train yard, which is full of historic locomotives. The trains here date all the way back to the second world war, back then these locomotives were built to serve the heavy loads of the war. It wasn't always war material though, a small selection of these models were also used to transport jews to the camps in the east. After this rather dark past they were used by the communist DDR regime of East Germany for regular transport. The last one of this model was decommissioned at the end 0f the 80s, this was quite unique due that this was one of the last steam locomotive still active in Europe.

After they were decommissioned they were bought by a preservation organization, today they are rustig away and slowly being swallowed by nature it self.

50793475602_74afe88e13_k.jpg
Rusting beasts by ForgottenBuildings, on Flickr

50793475532_c11ad003c9_k.jpg

50793475692_2a5e866f4d_k.jpg
Industrial revolution by ForgottenBuildings, on Flickr

50792608753_a3291f95d8_k.jpg

50792608338_b7bdd5556f_k.jpg

50793475507_9e464e36e9_k.jpg

I also made a video were I went more in-depth into the history of this historic locomotive graveyard:

Thanks for reading and watching!
Is this the collection at Hermeskeil Steam Locomotive Museum owned by Bernd Falz and his wife

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
As WesternSultan says, Woodham Bros in Barry had something like this.. even into the 80's it still had steam trains kicking around. Without Dai's decision to cut up rail wagons and profile first the preservation scene in the UK would be far worse off. Just a shame some of the few diesels that ended up there didn't make it out again.
Absolutely correct especially if you wanted pictures of rusty steam locomotives, the last one left in 1990 - full list at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_locomotives_saved_from_Woodham_Brothers_scrapyard

Durhamexplorerz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
we was thinking of looking around tanfield near me after lockdown, they don't mind you snooping about as long as you not causing trouble or vandalising i think some one did it a few years ago on here.

Who has read this thread (Total: 273) View details