real time web analytics
Report - - Loddington culvert, Leicestershire, Jul13 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Loddington culvert, Leicestershire, Jul13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
After a bit of research & 2 surveys; persistence finally paid off, and found this crumbling old culvert buried in the undergrowth. Much longer and darker than we expected, it has a few changes of brickwork, and several track drainage pipes clogged with what I assume to be limescale. Was nice to get some relief from the heat, but with the water levels low, the midges were horrible.

The GNR & LNWR joint railway line ran from Nottingham (or Newark), via Melton Mowbray, and on to Market Harborough & Northampton, built around 1879. Passenger services were only around six per day in each direction, although it was more heavily used by goods traffic. The line ran on a high embankment passing Loddington, requiring the existing tributary of the Eye Brook to be culverted under the line. Further on down the line, the main river, the Eye brook presented an engineering challenge where an impressive 14 arch viaduct was built across the valley, sadly demolished in 2001. After East Norton station, the line went through a 444 yard long tunnel, before continuing on to Hallaton. (see my previous report on East Norton tunnel) http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums...ton-hallaton-tunnel-leicestershire-feb13.html

The line closed to regular passenger services in 1953, and finally to goods trains in 1964. This line was one of the pre Beeching cuts, and has been derelict for 50 years, so it has seen better days.

Good to be back out on an explore with King Mongoose.

IMG_6121.jpg

IMG_6106.jpg

crumbling brickwork
IMG_6107.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_6113.jpg

limescale build up, I assume
IMG_6118.jpg

IMG_6120.jpg

IMG_6124.jpg

another limescale build up drain
IMG_6127.jpg