Report - Loddington Culvert - Leics - August 2016

  • Welcome to - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password


Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
Regular User
Sep 5, 2013
This was the first stop of the day, and a rather impressive structure it is. Having checked out the maps beforehand it was pretty straight forward to locate, and the water level was low so no problems there. This is a fairly large culvert, and the brickwork is interesting as the mid section changes in construction from brick to stone. Throughout the length of the culvert various smaller drains from the former railway above connect to the main drain. Most of these are now filled with limescale, with a couple forming impressive deposits.

History (more stolen history from wombat... sorry :p )
The GNR & LNWR joint railway line ran from Nottingham (or Newark), via Melton Mowbray, and on to Market Harborough & Northampton, built around 1879. Passenger services were only around six per day in each direction, although it was more heavily used by goods traffic. The line ran on a high embankment passing Loddington, requiring the existing tributary of the Eye Brook to be culverted under the line. Further on down the line, the main river, the Eye brook presented an engineering challenge where an impressive 14 arch viaduct was built across the valley, sadly demolished in 2001. The line closed to regular passenger services in 1953, and finally to goods trains in 1964.












Bonus video walking back through:


Similar threads