real time web analytics
Report - - London & South Western Railway - Plymouth - July 2010 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - London & South Western Railway - Plymouth - July 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lectrician

LED Crazy
28DL Full Member
London & South Western Railway (Plymouth)

"The Good Old Darkies"

I know this has been done twice now, once fairly recently by ghostofFLO, and a short while ago, with excellent lighting, by Kernow Expeditionary Force. :thumb

I decided as I was in Plymouth to pay this one a visit - I only did the first half of the tunnel - If I am honest I thought it was only in one part! :rolleyes:

It looks like kids enjoy playing at the entrance in the woods between the two tunnels - I managed to scare the living daylights out of them appearing from the dark!
neenerneener.gif

A little history:

The tunnel was originally opened in May 1876 as a spur to the main London and South-Western Railway.
The station was located where the Plymouth College of Further Education now stands. The original railings can still be seen.
During World War One the King and Queen arrived at the station to meet Plymouths Mayor and the top military brass.
The tunnel was closed to passengers in 1964 but remained in use as a goods line. It was finally closed to goods too in 1971.

The tunnels pass under the Devonport Park.
A sewer pipe has been installed in the tunnel and runs for most of the length.
It was run on the surface and then covered in soil, creating a bank to one side of the tunnel.
There are plenty of the "Refuge Arches" used by rail workers - you can see where these have been reduced considerably in height due to the sewer works.
The sewer stunk when I was in there - real rotten eggs. Not good!

Visited with my Wife under protest (she does actually enjoy it!) and my nephew, who learnt a bit about Stalagmites and Stalactites, refuges, tunnels, trains, camera exposures and urban exploring in general - Another UE nut has been found! (I learnt a little about camera exposures too! :D)

The classic entrance shot, including the traffic cone!
1278953593.jpg

The final stretch of the first tunnel.
1278953667.jpg

Looking back down the tunnel - notice the bank to the side.
1278953670.jpg

The start if the tunnel (from the way we entered!)
1278953671.jpg

Chainage! Not sure what this means, but I assume it is more likely to do with the sewer?
1278953595.jpg

The infamous mineral deposits...reminds me of "The Kraken"!
1278953597.jpg

First ever attempts at light painting!
1278953691.jpg

A refuge:
1278953669.jpg

The sewer dropping down from the street into a manhole. It stunk!
1278953668.jpg

A well bolted inspection chamber!
1278953594.jpg

I am still learning how to use my camera - this is the first tunnel my DSLR had seen!

Last edited: