real time web analytics
Report - - Long Clawson Railway Tunnel March2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Long Clawson Railway Tunnel March2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Spoddo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello all once again!

Went out with some other non-site users today to see the Clawson Railway Tunnel, also the Lion Brickworks (report posted on my account shortly after this one).

History
"Clawson Tunnel (sometimes called Hose) was 834 yards long and was listed for block telegraph purposes which provide regulations for platelayers' trolleys passing through. It also caused delays to trains on account of the gradient, trains often "sticking", with sometimes the front part of the train in the tunnel. It was the only real tunnel on the Joint Line, although there is a tunnel half a mile south of East Norton Station, it is very short and was not officially listed." -[http://www.meltonmowbray.steamrailways.com/Long Clawson & Hose.htm]

Explore
Not much to say in the means of finding this place, it's on the locations map, it's near a road and it's not even blocked up! It was a lovely day in terms of weather, though as usual proper torches were lacking and the photos suffered as such. These photos still take on my Canon SX410 bridge camera, I haven't switched to my EOS 700D just yet.

This first photo shows the entrance we used to the tunnel
33517070511_5090053a45_b.jpg

There are several of these alcoves throughout the tunnel, for avoiding an incoming train - I presume
33489796082_af3f0a9591_b.jpg

This shows the other end of the tunnel after a decent distance, the pile to the left of the shot is a collection of hundreds if not thousands of old chicken coops... weird
33605709726_16e302bceb_b.jpg

Here's a shot I quite like through one of these chicken coops
33262303830_47b1bd248f_b.jpg

And a nice reflection shot, just to make the most of the puddle!
33605673486_0170ebbb60_b.jpg

And finally here's an angle of the other end of the tunnel, sitting on top was quite a nice way to eat a few snacks as well!
33262420350_a57bde8a45_b.jpg

Not all that much to be seen, especially with the poor low light performance of my camera without a quality torch!! I'm expecting the messages from @KM_Punk already ;) Thanks for viewing!

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Nice to see this pop up again, my first 'real' explore.
You're right, that alcove is to avoid on coming trains.
You've got some nice snaps there, I like the ones taken around the northern portal :thumb

lincstunnelexplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics. Was there earlier in the year but the weather wasnt good at all, the slope down to the tunnelmouth being very muddy. Was warned by a couple of people chasing a bat with radio gear through the tunnel that the farmer who owns the tunnel and surrounding land isnt keen on people being in there and can be quite grumpy at times!!

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Nice to see this again, one my first tunnel explores back in the early 90s.
Took some nice pics of this in the snow a few years back