real time web analytics
Report - - Longbridge Tunnels and Boiler House - Jan. 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Longbridge Tunnels and Boiler House - Jan. 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

extreme_ironing

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I ran a search on 28DL for these and can see that the site is pretty saturated with this location, but also everyone's photos are varied enough that I figured I'd add mine to the pile.

Dropped by here recently with @The_Raw @Lenston @Maniac and @obscurity while en route to another location out West. The tunnels under what used to be the Longbridge Plant were used in part to produce engines for RAF aircraft during WW2 and continued to be used for automotive works afterwards. The first section we checked out were the 'Runway Tunnels'.

A set of doors looking away from a workshop area.
i-N98NCj9-X3.jpg

..said workshop.
i-WdgK53z-X2.jpg

Some of the contents.
i-XMJJCJX-X2.jpg

A brick lined section.
i-5Gbzs77-X2.jpg

One of the longer corridors
i-Bh5dFTW-X2.jpg

A small room to one side was full of scraps of cable.
i-vnfJHfm-X2.jpg

Leaving this section, we were curious about the structures above, some of them were clearly not in use, some we were not so sure about. We headed up some heavily overgrown stairs and towards a building with a large chimney which usually means something interesting is inside. :P

i-WTZcJSh-X2.jpg

Covered by cameras but looking distinctively not in use, we found an open door around the back, all manner of alarms were going off inside unrelated to our entry, we chose not to stick around regardless, a set of 3 Gas fired boilers were in the main building along with all associated machinery.

i-3RdR2nL-X2.jpg

Back to some more of the tunnels on the other side of the ongoing above-ground development..

A ladder leading up to a ventilation inlet, the top was blocked by some compacted earth but would not be impossible to get in from top side.
i-sTFLZrc-X2.jpg

No entry. :D
i-4dw3WZp-X2.jpg

Generators, rectifiers and batteries.
i-ccbn2v3-X2.jpg

A slightly flooded entrance, for once I wasn't the one to get my feet wet. :D
i-sbcM26S-X2.jpg

Besides the fact I'd seen lots of this place online, I actually really enjoyed this set of tunnels - many thanks @Lenston as ever. :)

The_Raw

Staff member
Incredible set of pics, the lighting is great in all of them. That boiler house was a nice surprise too and made for an amusing end to proceedings :D

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
As usual your pictures are completely different to everyone elses, always a pleasure mate, need to practice my sprinting in wellies i think ;)

Last edited:

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Was a fun day this for sure, your photos as per usual are nothing short of superb.
default_smile.png

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah I finally pulled my finger out and had a look in a few weeks back, a site with quite a bit of historic importance and was good to see first hand :thumb

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
I think most of Longbridge is like that boilerhouse. Lights on and no one at home!

ledgehammer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice take on it, nice one for venturing past the cameras - its nice to see the other parts ;-)