Web
Analytics
Report - - Lords Marsh | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lords Marsh



T

Tunnel Lurker

Guest
Guest
#1
A few pictures of the derelict radio telescopes at Lords Bridge (cavendish laboratories).
Lords Bridge began life as a an ammunition storage and filling facility for chemical weapons (Subbrit here:http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/l/lords_bridge_air_ammunition_park/index.shtml)

In the 1950's it became home to the Mullard Radio Astronomy with the erection of the '4c' telescope array. Various equipments have since been installed and many are still operational.

DSC_0699.jpg

(The ultimate garden shed? Imagine the flat-pack instructions....)
In the foreground is one of three dishes for the one-Mile telescope array, one of which is still partly operational, if infrequently used. To the right is the derelict tangle that forms the stationary component of the '4C' (IIRC 1957?). The rest of the array is 1/2 mile West and mostly stripped.

The little telescope is part of the small 1960's/70's 'Half Mile Telescope'

DSC_0686.jpg


DSC_0710-1.jpg


DSC_0714-1.jpg

The tangle mass of the 4c telescope. Operating at 178 mhz, it carried out the first detailed mapping program of the night sky.
DSC_0721.jpg
 

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar threads