real time web analytics
Report - - Lostock Chemical Works Power Station, 2009 (when it was still steamy) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lostock Chemical Works Power Station, 2009 (when it was still steamy)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This week's installment from the archive is topical as the building is due to be demolished. Built by ICI to power it's Lostock plant, which is part of the greater works of Burnner Mond Alkali works. At the time of my visit I didn't really know that much about Brunner Mond or soda ash, or in fact power stations. I cannot recall where we were going but I believe this was a "stop off" on the way to something more exiting. It was well known in the exploring community at the time for having a "steamy" staircase, where a steam pipe from the working part of the site had a bleed / leak filling the staircase with steam!

When I look back at the photos I now understand a lot more about what was going on. The station powered the works which is still in fact in operation, one of the last parts of the once mighty ICI operations in the region. The boilers, turbines and control room was all fairly intact, all housed in a very typical 1950's building. I'm not entirely sure when the station closed but it had escaped any real modernization up until closure.

I thought I would stick a few photos up so people can see what it looked like a decade ago before it's gone forever... Apparently a new power station is to be built in it's place.

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

And one for Speed....

DSC_0151.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Get LDV up next and the rest of that lot that we had to can years ago when good old imagekack went..

Actually we did keep some of the old threads as text only so have a look, unless you have a copy of the original write ups ?