real time web analytics
Report - - Lots Rd Pumping Station, London, Oct 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lots Rd Pumping Station, London, Oct 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

kevin arnold

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with Za Gringo and Analepsis.

IMG_7138.jpg

IMG_7135.jpg

HISTORY: The Pumping Station was built in the early years of the C20, becoming operational in 1904, to serve the expanded London main drainage system to pump storm water into the Thames. A series of storm water pumping stations were built in London in the C19-early C20 including three by the Metropolitan Board of Works (the precursor to the LCC) and a number by the LCC. Most have now been demolished or replaced. Lots Road was designed by the LCC Works Department, where the chief engineer for the design was Sir Alexander Binnie with amendments by his successor Sir Maurice Fitzmaurice. Originally powered by gas engines, the plant was updated in the early 1930s when the present diesel combustion engines, by Belliss & Morcom, were installed. This firm is better known for the manufacture of compressors than combustion engines so therefore have some interest as an unsual product by them. Some of the pumps and pipes are also of this date as is the office accommodation. Further modifications took place in the late 1950s/early 1960s including the addition of a further three small pumps. (source: British Listed Buildings)

***​

Another of London antique ornate pumping stations. Not as big and lush as Crossness or Abbey Mills, it still is a litte gem sitting quietly in the shadow of the power station next door. It was listed in 2007, being "A high quality example of Edwardian public utility architecture" and "The earliest and best surviving example of a storm water pumping station by the Metropolitan Board of Works and LCC and the most architecturally decorative and accomplished".

I checked it a while ago and decided it may be worth a look at night. I came back with Za Gringo and Analepsis a while later. Hop over the fence, a little mooch around the area and we were in. Not often do you get so good results for so little effort.

I'm a bit surprised that I've not seen any non-permission pictures from here as you can clearly see people have been in. It might have been some kids from the neighbouring estates - good for us as we used their access. There is a permission visit report on here:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11469

I recommend checking it if you want some more information on how the place works. Unlike me, the guy who wrote it had some technical knowledge. I can only tell you which part is the basement and which is the ground floor ;)

So, starting from the basement:

IMG_7017.jpg

IMG_7020bw.jpg

IMG_7022.jpg
IMG_7021.jpg

And moving on to the ground floor:

IMG_7030.jpg

IMG_7025.jpg

IMG_7031.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

IMG_7037.jpg
IMG_7034.jpg

And that was it. The place is obviously live, there's CCTV cameras and a Thames Water van was parked inside, so we didn't want to stay longer than necessary to have a good look around. We packed up and sneaked out into the night.

IMG_7041.jpg

Thanks for looking.​

Last edited: